Tested Nitrates from store???

I did a nitrate test from the water that was used to package up my fish. The store had very high nitrates in the water. I am doing a trickle system to get the new fish adjusted to my water. Does anyone think that these fish will have a problem?? Weird that the fish store had such a high nitrates. Also noticed after I did my water change that my nitrates are still high.
I plan on doing a water change again. Hopefully that will help my tank. I always have an issue with nitrates. I did get a green live plant to put in the tank and hopefully that will help

I have two filters. One is a protein skimmer. Another is one that hangs from back of tank. Also have power head. Only have lion fish and had a niger trigger. So guess I have issues still with this tank. Oh it's a 90 gallon. Salt water is great. Really weird how i always have to deal with nitrates the tank has been up about 2 yrs now. Thanks all

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by femmeartist51 http:///t/396712/tested-nitrates-from-store#post_3534668
I did a nitrate test from the water that was used to package up my fish. The store had very high nitrates in the water. I am doing a trickle system to get the new fish adjusted to my water. Does anyone think that these fish will have a problem?? Weird that the fish store had such a high nitrates. Also noticed after I did my water change that my nitrates are still high.
I plan on doing a water change again. Hopefully that will help my tank. I always have an issue with nitrates. I did get a green live plant to put in the tank and hopefully that will help

I have two filters. One is a protein skimmer. Another is one that hangs from back of tank. Also have power head. Only have lion fish and had a niger trigger. So guess I have issues still with this tank. Oh it's a 90 gallon. Salt water is great. Really weird how i always have to deal with nitrates the tank has been up about 2 yrs now. Thanks all

Hi,

High nitrates won't bother fish, even into the 100s...coral and inverts however do actually die if the nitrates are too high.

geridoc

With a lion and a niger trigger it isn't surprising that your nitrates are somewhat elevated - these are big, sloppy eaters. Keep up with water changes.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by femmeartist51 http:///t/396712/tested-nitrates-from-store#post_3534692
I figured once a week with 25% change. Unless someone thinks I should do more larger changes. Thanks for the advice.

Hi,

Most folks, unless they have a problem, do monthly 3% water changes. (I do 30g changes on my 90g tank). The more often you do water changes, the less water you need to change out, some folks do a gallon a day. Others do maybe 5g a week...but 25% a week seems like a little too much work to me. It won't hurt a thing to do less then that, if you are doing it every week. It won't hurt anything to keep doing what you are doing either, if it isn't broke why try and fix it....kind of thinking. So all I'm doing is offering SUGESTIONS, nothing more, you are not doing anything wrong a bit.

If you can manage to keep some decorative macroalgae, that stuff works wonders for keeping messy eaters in a healthy tank. Seahorses (what I keep) are piggy's as well, nitrates and PO4 abounds, the wasted food really makes keeping the parameters pristine, a challenge. Macros will add a little pop of color as well.

deejeff442

people want perfect water quality i understand .myself it takes too much work to achieve.myself as long as ammonia and nitrites are zero i dont worry. imo 40-60 nitrates is fine .you will drive yourself nuts trying to get it under 10

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejeff442 http:///t/396712/tested-nitrates-from-store#post_3534727
people want perfect water quality i understand .myself it takes too much work to achieve.myself as long as ammonia and nitrites are zero i dont worry. imo 40-60 nitrates is fine .you will drive yourself nuts trying to get it under 10

40 to 60 nitrates won't bother fish, not even over 100s...but inverts and corals won't survive it. The people really concerned about nitrates are the reef keepers. I think new folks read their concerns and think they have to be concerned even with fish only systems...but OP did say s/he wanted coral.

LOL...Nitrates do drive us nuts as we seek that perfect 0 reading, the industry makes the majority of it's money on gadgets to eliminate PO4 and NO3.

Thank you for the info. Glad to give up that 25% a week. Will do less percentage in my water changes. Again thanks for info. Gather have to limit myself to what can live in high nitrates. I don't want corals, but some more anemones, and some of the items that move and wave in the water, different colors would be great. Been researching ones that are not hard to keep growing. My water isn't always in pristine condition. Me bad lol

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by femmeartist51 http:///t/396712/tested-nitrates-from-store#post_3534769
Thank you for the info. Glad to give up that 25% a week. Will do less percentage in my water changes. Again thanks for info. Gather have to limit myself to what can live in high nitrates. I don't want corals, but some more anemones, and some of the items that move and wave in the water, different colors would be great. Been researching ones that are not hard to keep growing. My water isn't always in pristine condition. Me bad lol

Hi,

Unless you have super great (Metal Halide or LEDs) lighting, even perfect water wont allow you to keep an anemone. The pretty items that flow in the water with color...are coral. Red macroalgae will add color, and it will help keep parameters in check...but you must keep it trimmed back (called harvesting). When you remove the extra growth on the macros, you actually remove the nitrates and phosphates from your system.

You could (if you have at least 4 inches of sand) get a non-photosynthetic anemone. The long tentacle tube anemone comes in purple, pink and even blue, they have their own light and glow at night, the tentacles really flow with the water current...they are drop dead beautiful. HOWEVER, they like all anemones, are fish eaters. Anything stupid enough to get to close, including shrimp, snails and even hermits will either be eaten or stung to death. Also you have to cover all of your power heads, anemones have no brain or eyes, they follow the water current, and often get themselves sucked up in the intake tubes and power heads, poisoning the tank as they die.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by femmeartist51 http:///t/396712/tested-nitrates-from-store#post_3534950
thank you for the info. Got to get a cover for the power head.

Hi,

The filter media sold in sheets (half blue half white) work great...cut to fit and secure with a rubberband. Be aware that your power head will not have the water flow as efficient as before, and it will clog, to avoid burning up the pump, make sure to replace the filter material at least once a week. LOL ... It's a pain in the butt, but it's the price we pay for beauty.

I say use the sheets because it's cheaper and has to be changed so often, you can purchase filter covers that slide right on the intake.

Thanks very much will do, the power head ate up my puffer fish. getting a love hate relationship with the equipment. Not meant to hurt the fish. Oh well. Thanks for info