Testing Equipment

ophiura

Originally Posted by gwh57
Again, I agree with most of your post, and that new aquariums should by all means be tested. My point was directed at established tanks. Most of the issues you mention in this response are not normally incountered in established tanks. I think we both understand this. The intent of the original post was to get accurate information, like this, to the "new hobbyist". And to get them to research on their own and not just take everything they are told for the truth.

That is why you and I posted here correct?

Yes, that is certainly why we post here and I certainly appreciate different opinions, regardless of age, experience, etc. There is always value in sharing, discussing or even debating opinions.
We basically differ on what is considered an established tank. To me, it is at least a year old, and no further livestock is being added. But even then, I have and encourage using an ammonia kit because things can STILL go wrong.
From your first post it appears that you feel that once the tank is cycled - be it a few days with cured LR or 6 weeks with a traditional cycle - that you no longer need to test? Perhaps I am wrong in assuming that but it is what was said. I think that is where we part company on this issue

1journeyman

Never worked at a public aquarium but I have volunteered at two. Water was routinely tested for ammonia.
Ammonia is toxic and can appear in an established tank (over feeding, media getting clogged, etc.). I you don't test for it your first indication something is wrong could well be die offs.
Testing for known toxins routinely seems to make sense to me.