The 55 Gallon Beast (In Progress)

jjjoey

Ok i finally am upgrading. to my 55 gallon aggressive/reef
I am moving into my new room next year since all my sisters are gone to college i get a bigger room so bigger tank
its gunna be moved and everything aug. 22. right now its in the garage.
as of now. i have bought the tank. some equip. and lighting.
The lights im using are:
48" Extreme Orbit 2x130watt SunPaq with Lunar Lights & Fan
My Equip. is:
Uv sterilizer
fluval 404
emperor 200 biowheel (gettin a 400 to replace)
im getting a skimmer not sure what kind. suggestions? :notsure:
I am not sure what corals i can do, so if any one could tell me it would be greatly apppreciated. :joy:
I wanna do an aggressive reef built around a fuzzy dwarf lion and a Antennata lion.
i need help with the rest of the list if any1 could suggest anything
im attaching a picture of the tank and stand with lights on it (not on)
i appreciate all suggestions or anything
Thanks,

Joey

philgmiami

looks good?.. looks like an empty tank to me,lol :thinking: .. you have a long wayyyyy to go my frind.. but its alllll woth it

fanker

nice stand, but i wouldnt go with the emporer filter i would just stay with a fluval but i heard those rena x3's are way better u might want to check them out. for a skimmer i would try a coralife super skimmer.
u could keep alot under those lights, but not sps and clams....
good luck
dan

coachklm

reef and aggressive kinda dont mix:
From theme reefs which attempt to recreate life specific to one region of the world like the Great Barrier Reef to the more prevalent and often spectacularly colored mixed reef that blend hard and soft coral from around the world. Unlike the marine aquarium which main purpose is to house various fish, the true stars of the reef tank are the coral and other invertebrates.

as an aggressive setup tends to eat the invertabrates.
but with very careful set upo you may be able to find a suitable set up of corals with aggressive /semi aggressive fish.

jjjoey

i was thinking like
Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish
Antennata Lionfish
-
-
-
-
i dunno wut else tho

bluetanger

A snowflake eel-they r reef safe-flame hawkfish(but he's kinda small)
and you can do some triggers-jus check with the lfs before u buy one...

team2jndd

Originally Posted by bluetanger
A snowflake eel-they r reef safe-flame hawkfish(but he's kinda small)
and you can do some triggers-jus check with the lfs before u buy one...
lol from what ive seen nothing listed in the entire thread is reefsafe. No eels, triggers, lions groupers nothing like that will be reef safe. They might not eat your corals but good luck to your poor cleanup crew. You need to make up your mind its either aggressive or reef. An agressive reef tank would need to be much larger than 55 gallons to be successful.

team2jndd

oh and dont check with the lfs. Check with this site. LFS are STORES. They just want your money and to move the product from their store. Once its bagged they dont care what happens to it.

team2jndd

not if you intend to have any shrimp no its not reef safe. Anything a lionfish can fit in its mouth will inevitabely end up in its mouth. The reason dwarf lions might be more considerable is that they have smaller mouths. However, any small shrimp or crabs will get picked off. I had a fu manchu lion and it was one of the coolest fish I have had but he also ate 3 peppermint shrimp.

stanlalee

Originally Posted by team2jndd
I guess I was wrong. Sorry to misinform. The lions will eat things that DONT fit in their mouth too! https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/225914/glad-i-was-home#post_1722160
Now do you believe me?
whats that got to do with reef safe. Better judgement should tell you a docile hardly ever swimming cardinal shouldn't be put in with a dwarf lion especially that much bigger wether its a reef or fish only tank. Looks to me the cardinal DID FIT in his mouth, at least half of him.
A dwarf lion with the appropriate sized tangs, foxfaces, marroon clowns (appropriately sized and/or with established territory) will usually do fine in a reef. alot better than questionable blue throat triggers, valentini and spotted puffers, the other aggressives often experimented in reef tanks who actually have the teeth to crush a hermits/snails shell. With a dwarf lion for the most part all you have to give up are shrimp. So like you said shrimp be damned.

team2jndd

its a 55g tank. He cant house large fish. The dwarf.... as posted in that link.... will eat small and and not so small fish. Its pointless for him to put a dwarf lion in a reef. If he wants the lion he should go fowlr. If he wants the reef than ditch the lion. Its just not practical he will have to sacrifice alot to have the lion and imo its not worth it. Shrimp crabs and small fish are major parts of a reef.

hot883

1st, I would not use that stand. It looks nice but it also appears to be particle board. (I may be wrong) One good bump when the tank is full and it might not hold up.
2nd, that link that was posted is my link. Yes the cardinal should have swam faster or avoided the lion as it does now. Thats the choices that I have made for the tank. If you do go aggressive, you need great filtartion as the bio load will be greater then non aggressive. My lion does not look at my emarld crabs or my snails or my hermits. I learned to feed him more. Lions are often killed as well as other fish by over feeding. Now I know to feed 3 times a week instead of 2.