The Ads are getting really annoying.

snakeblitz33

Now, instead of just being on the top and side bar of the forum annoying me if my mouse goes over too far, but every time I type something out to post, a word or a few words get hyperlinked to some website that tries to sell me something.
So, let me get this straight... I can not post a link to an article written by people on another forum (a forum that pretty much everyone in reefkeeping knows about...) to give information to new hobbyists, but yet I can buy pet food and yoplait and Auvi-Q and "get started today!" from a link that has been hyperlinked to MY POSTS?! I don't know whether I should be ashamed or offended?
I'm getting sick of it.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yep the ads have become so intrusive that people have flocked away from SWF.

snakeblitz33

Well, it's gotten so bad that I am looking for a new home forum. This is just ticking me off too much. I had to wait for two minutes for an ad to close before I could even type this.

snakeblitz33

"o new hobbyists, but yet I can buy pet food and yoplait and Auvi-Q and "get started today!""
"pet food" has a link that I did not put there myself. Nearly every single one of my posts has something in it like this.

snakeblitz33

It's really sickening how I can't post links or do anything to give other information sources to anyone on this site or share anything interesting and yet my posts can be exploited as advertising opportunities.

meowzer

I still get no ads at all.......apparently my adblock works well

My suggestion would be to send a message to SWF.com and ask them to look into it

snakeblitz33

If it's on my end, I will run the usual programs to see if I can get rid of it and see if I can get rid of the annoying side bar adverts as well. I just hate that I have to run yet another program to actually enjoy being on this site.
But, its not just my posts either. It hyperlinks words from other people's posts as well. It's so subtle that you almost don't recognize it.

snakeblitz33

Adblock, huh? Check out this article... http://techcrunch.com/2013/07/06/google-and-others-reportedly-pay-adblock-plus-to-show-you-ads-anyway/

snakeblitz33

It doesn't happen all the time, actually. But, it does happen about once or twice per thread so far.
pet food
auvi-q
get started
a degree
buy
sell
trade
I dunno if any of those words will be hyperlinked, but those are just a few examples of what I have seen around the forums

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen that kind of stuff on other websites and they are extremely annoying. As your mouse passes over, or if you're stupid enough to think a link leads to something informative concerning the article, then you get an ad.
It is intrusive and annoying since people posting ARE NOT giving permission for their posts to be linked to ads. The question is, by participating in such a site, are you giving unspoken consent? Guess so.

snakeblitz33

SEE??? I'm not the only one!!!
The blue words are everywhere! They are taking over! AHHH!!!
But seriously, I don't appreciate my posts becoming advertising opportunities. Can I get royalties, please?

I can also understand the issue with advertisements as they could be very annoying some time as the other visitors may not know that this is an automatic link. I have seen more worse ads than this, but here I am not getting any ad on my post.