The ammonia won't go away

skibaer

First post!
I started my 55 gal tank on July 1st, and I can't seem to get my ammonia levels lower than 0.25. I have tested the water I use for top offs, and there is no ammonia in there. I have also brought a sample to my lfs and they are getting the same numbers as me. Has my tank just not finished cycling, or could there be something else wrong?
Everything else is okay I think,
ph-8.2
nitrite-0
nitrate-0
In my tank I have about 35 lbs of live rock and two damsels (I didn't learn about the shrimp thing until later).

beaslbob

did your nitrIte ever spike? and is there algae growing either on your life rock or elsewhere?

skibaer

I have a Seaclone protein skimmer, biowheel power filter along with the rock.
Both my nitrites and nitrates have always been 0, and I do have a little algae in my tank.
The ammonia level has stayed pretty constant at .25 since I got the tank running.

oregonbud

Welcome to SWF.com :)
If you started your tank on the 1st of July, you should be about 7 weeks into the cycle, from what I have seen it takes a tank anywhere from 4-6 weeks to cycle, so it could be possible that your cycle has not yet completed. It takes a while for the bacteria that converts Ammonia ->Nitrite ->Nitrate to develop, so it may just be that the levels of bacteria have not yet caught up to your bioload.
With that said, you should see your Nitrites rise, then your Nitrates, if you have not seen this occur then it would be a very good indicator that the cycle has not yet completed, although it does seem like enough time has passed.
What are you using for substrate? CC or a sand bed?
Also have you performed any water changes yet?

coralwolf

I had the same think happen to me.
I started my 55 gal on January 4th and my Ammonia finally went to zero about three weeks ago and I finally have a nitrate reading.
All I can think is some of my rock wasn’t cured and that kept the ammonia around.
So just be patient.

videohub

you may want to try another test kit.
sometimes they can be off.
take a water sample to your LFS they would
probably test it for you.
but then of cores you may not be done with your cycle.
persisted patients will pay off in the end
;)

jauringer

have you been using ammo-lock or a similar product as a water conditioner. It can show false ammonia readings.

beaslbob

With your nitrItes never spiking either you missed the spike or your cycle has not happened yet. It is possible that the bio load was so little that the cycle was extremely short lived. But you should have some nitrAtes unless the algae is taking care of that also.
I recommend you add some marine plants or macro algae. They will complete the cycle, absorve carbon dioxide, filter out heavy metals and generally balance out as stabilize the system.
You could also try not feeding for at least three days to see if the ammonia drops.
And if you do get it down to 0.0 and have the plant life established, then you may want to add some more livestock. Just keep an eye on things as i think you will notice more of a cycle as more livestock is added. I used five fish on my 55g for instance. On the second day nitrItes were pegged and stayed that way for three days. Good luck and much sucess

skibaer

I have 40 lbs (I think) of aragonite as a substrate. And I haven't done any water changes; I read somewhere that you shouldn't until after the cycle was complete.

beaslbob

Originally posted by skibaer
I have 40 lbs (I think) of aragonite as a substrate. And I haven't done any water changes; I read somewhere that you shouldn't until after the cycle was complete.

that is correct. Water changes will slow down the cycle. I don't do water changes after the cycle either.

bzolnowski

i dont get it though. if the nitite gets real high, how can you not do a water change? is it best to let it spike or get it down with a water change and then let it go back up again???????

col

if the nitite gets real high, how can you not do a water change
NitrAte is the end result of the Ammonia - nitrite - nitrate (nitrogen) cycle. During the tank cycling period it is best to leave water changes until the cycle has complete. If nitrates rise to a high level it won't matter too much as there needn't be any livestock in the tank yet. As long as they can be lowered after the cycle things will be fine.
is it best to let it spike or get it down with a water change and then let it go back up again???????
During the cycle - let it be.
After the cycle - keep nitrates as low as possible.

broomer5

any chance that you and your LFS are using Red Sea Test Kits ?
They are notorious for constant .25 ammonia readings.

beaslbob

Originally posted by bzolnowski
i dont get it though. if the nitite gets real high, how can you not do a water change? is it best to let it spike or get it down with a water change and then let it go back up again???????

I agree with col on this one (I am sure he meant the nitrAtes {not nitrItes} and the end product of the nitrogen cycle).
Nitrites With a 10% water change would be lowered 10%. The bacteria that consumes the nitrItes and converts them to nitrAtes double in hours. The 10% reduction in nitrItes is miniscule compared to the hourly doubling of the bacteria. Additionally, the disturbance. changing of all water chemistry, and the possibility of making mistakes means that the water change could do much more harm than good. So it is best to let the tank build up the bacteria and settle down.
The end product nitrAtes is plant food and consumed by algaes and marine plants. Again 10% drop in nitrates (water change) is miniscule compared to that actions of the plant life.

skibaer

Broomer,
I'm not using Red Sea.
I don't know what brand my lfs is using, but it's different than mine.