The Bermuda Project

diverdown

OK, The Bermuda Project is underway.
As indicated in a previous thread, I am attempting to start up a reef tank here in Bermuda. As local law prohibits importation of saltwater fish and inverts, I will be setting up and maintaining this project without the help of any LFS or local experts, and will be stocking the tank with fish, and eventually reef from the local waters (located, conveniently, about a hundred and fifty yards from my back door).
My only source of assistance will be the good readership of this forum.
So, I went out and got a tank. It was previously a freshwater aquarium, but I checked with the owner to see if he had ever treated the fish with any medicines which included copper. He had not. Good start.
The equipment is in pieces in my back yard being thoroughtly cleaned at the moment. As I type this I am covered head to toe in fish crap!
So, the tank specs are as follows:
Tank - 55 Gallon (12" deep x 18" high x 48" wide)
Filter - Aquaclear 300
Lighting - Coralife 10,000K (not nearly enough for a reef, but how about FO with live sand??)
The next steps:
I plan to set the tank up tonight, and tomorrow fill it with water straight from the ocean (collected well away from the beach). I will also be adding aprox 3" of live sand, collected while diving (about 25-30 feet down, near a coral head).
That's step one. Here are a few questions:
1. Once the water and the sand are in, and the parameters are clear, what should I look to introduce first? Fish or cleaners (Shrimp/snails/hermits)?
2. Should I begin a light cycle immediately? There will be critters living in the sand I'm sure.
Any thoughts will be MOST appreciated.
Diverdown

Right now (If you lived near me) I'd be cautioning you against using freshly harvested sand from the ocean near your home, but because of your location all I can do is suffer in large amounts of envy. :)
Good luck!
-Chuck

diverdown

Actually, I'm a bit overwhelmed by it all. I've only ever had freshwater before, so I'm afraid of missing something obvious! That's why I figure I'll start with fish only and much later start looking into live rock and anemones.
We have some fabulous sea life here, though not as varied as florida or the caribbean. Still, it's all very exciting!
Diverdown

the claw

I was going to say, that I think there is a procedure for processing real ocean water before adding it to your tank, but I don't think that applies when you can literally pump it into it.
Wow- sounds like fun. Can you poach some live rock?:p

diverdown

Well, I went into town today to check out the two main LFS and was very pleasantly surprised. While neither stocked saltwater fish, both were quite knowledgable on the subject, one had been keeping a reef for years, and there is actually stock of equipment and stuff. This is a very good thing.
So today I picked up the following:
Saltwater Master Liquid Test Kit
FasTesT copper test just to double check there is no copper in the tank (better not be!)
ZooMed Powersweep 214 powerhead
Nutrafin Cycle
A new canopy cover as the old one was pretty much toast.
So, all in all I am making a good start to my soon to be all-consuming addiction. Tomorrow- WATER!
Diverdown
BTW - THe guy at the LFS said not to bother putting the activated charcoal in my Aquaclear. Not good (necessary?) in a salt water tank. Thoughts?