The black Phantom???

Hello Everyone.
I have a question regarding something that is in my tank and not sure what it is. I call it the black phantom. It seemed to only come out at night but now i see it more often during the day. It looks like kind of a snail but with out the shell. It is a real dark black and moves slow like a snail. Think of what a leather coral looks like the mushroom type. Its flat just like that. Anyway I wish I could describe it better, Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

lionfish

LionFish says......
Well, I have one, too and have been extremely curious about it. It is a nudobranch of some sort. It is nocturnal and seems to eat only algea. I have no complaints about it as I have yet to see it eat any of more corals and it is keeping my glass cleaner than any of my Trochus snails. I have debated if I should ask the question you did but it seems to be harmless or so it seems so far. All I can say is to keep an eye on it like I have and just keep track of your corals to make sure it doesn't eat any of them. There are literally thousands if not millions of nudibranchs and it is nearly impossible to identify the exact one. But I got mine off Fiji rock. So, I am assuming that it lives mostly in Fiji. Personally, I think it's cool.

reefkeeper1

Hey lion fish how long have you had it in your tank? Is it all black with yellow lined on its side or back? I have done alot of research on nudibranches and there is a good web page to research them. Next time you search type in sea slugs that should take you to the forum

Well Im glad to see Im not the only one who has one of these creatures in my tank. It does seem to only eat algae and bo It s is not bothering anything but I am curious to find out what they are for sure. Yes it kind of does have frills, It seems to look like a rock squased it and it stayed flat like that. Likes almost like a piece of velvet. Thanks for the responses, Ill try to look up sea slugs and see what i get. Later Ill keep all updated.

lionfish

LionFish says.......
Well, the little guy has been in my tank for I would say 3 months now. He is, like total said, like a flat piece of black velvet in a circular form. I will look for some more info on them but in the time right now, the thing is eating all the algea and I'm not complaining. Although, the funny thing is every once in a while, I will find little babys. I assume they can reproduce asexually or else there is 2 of them. But the babys disappear after awhile. Oh well, for now the little guy has a home.