The Cannot Live Withouts....

fishforme

Just a question for everyone out there. I've almost got my tank setup and think that I have done the best job making the tank as easy as possible to maintain (I should mention economically). I just read a post about the PinPoint pH monitor as a must-have for easiness. Does anyone else have any great suggestions or Must Have's...

twoods71

This may sound a bit corny but my very good LFS that sells live brine less then 1 mile away is a cant live without.
My fish love the live brine and my cardinal will not eat anything but live brine.

broomer5

People will either agree or disagree with me here ... but if you are in this hobby for the long haul, a good RO or RO/DI unit is hard to beat.
Good quality water from the start, no hauling jugs in and out of the house, and you will eliminate a lot of water quality and maintenance headaches.
If you're going to reef - I consider an RO/DI a MUST HAVE for sure.

fish fry

Buckets, & towels.
Spare water made up ready to go - just in case murphy shows up. :)
Another good "can't live without", that I am living without is a bottomless wallet. :D

fishforme

I think I have everything above, even the understanding wife who patiently waited in the bedroom as I filled my tank for the first time...
How about a wavemaker? Overrated?

wrigley11

wavemakers are okay if you want to spend money... the moving power headers( zoo makes them ) almost do the same think. You can also out a powerhead on a timer will the lights so when the lights go out there is a difference in the water movement.
Read this is good for corals somewhere or the other. And on the PH meter, one of the biggest ways to mess up in this hobby is to constantly be changing you water peraimeters. Just use a test kit... unless you have a calcium reactor -then you have to have the PH indicator- if the tank looks good you usually are going something right.
And another must have -someone else to do all the work on the tank so you can just sit and enjoy- sorry that's on the wish list.
Hope that helps