The Christmas/Thanksgiving/Halloween Horse Tank

sueandherzoo

OK so I moved my "Christmas" Wishlist seahorse tank up a a holiday and then yet one more holiday. I know patience is a virtue in this hobby but I'll use the patience when I'm chomping at the bit to get my first pair of horses. There's nothing wrong with just starting up the tank a little earlier than planned, right?

Nothing exciting to see yet but I guess you have to start a photo thread somewhere. May I present the 46 gallon bowfront with approximately 35 gallons of water in it. The salt was just added, I've got some bubblers going in there to help mix and oxygenate the water. Tomorrow I will add the sand and then the 10 more (or however many it takes) gallons of water. Stay tuned!
Sue

novahobbies

All RIIIIGHT!

Now go to bed. It's too darn late!

Honestly, you're making me want to tear down my 37 and move my horses into a 45....If I had a stand for the 45 I'd do it in a NYM!

sueandherzoo

Sorry, can't go to bed - I'm in AIM chat with a very experienced reefer who's coaching me through this process and it would be rude to end the chat just for something trivial like sleep!
What shape is your 45? Go to a few thrift stores or Goodwills/Salvation Army's - they usually have lots of really cheap furniture. I'll bet you could find something suitable to put that 45 gallon on. Doesn't HAVE to be a fish tank stand, right?
Sue

novahobbies

It's a start!
Now, better put your live rock and/or base rock in there before you go topping off with more water. Just in case, you know!

sueandherzoo

Originally Posted by novahobbies
http:///forum/post/2803357
It's a start!
Now, better put your live rock and/or base rock in there before you go topping off with more water. Just in case, you know!

I put some live rock from the little tank in there to get it started.... now I either need to go buy some from the LFS or buy some online - haven't decided which way to go yet. If I go LFS it's a little pricier but I get to pick out the ones I want and I can keep it "live". However I hear it's cheaper online, and I understand you can get some really great stuff on this site as well as that

[hr]
site, and if I have to recure it and have die off and all, so what? Nothing in the take anyway, right? The rock my LFS has is from Florida. Might be nice to get something different in there, too, and perhaps different hitchhikers.
Sue

teresaq

Just be sure to watch fla rock for unwanted hitch hikers. There are sometimes mantis shrimp and pest anemonies. If it were me I would just buy dry rock if you already have some live. I bought some nice dry rock for a couple bucks a lb.
So far so good. Keep us updated

TeresaQ

sueandherzoo

Good Lord, this hobby and addiction is spiraling out of control! I guess I don't have to worry about buying live rock for the 46 gallon tank because I just bought a used tank, 55 gallons, with ALL supplies, including water and fish, and it has 120 lbs. of live rock in it! That's enough for the 55 AND the 46! I wasn't even LOOKING for another tank but this local deal fell into my lap and it was too good to pass up. A guy who works at my LFS had set up a tank with all the best stuff (since he works there he not only knows what is good and what's not but he also gets a discount so he bought the best) and it's even got some gorgeous corals in there. This deal was just meant to be -- when we got down to details I found he lives about 3 miles from me. It's going to make the transport a whole lot easier.

I have no idea how this happened but hopefully by Thursday I will have a living, breathing reef tank in the house with a few fish in it and this weekend I can play with aquascaping both the 55 and the 46. Addicting? Nahhhh. Downright CONSUMING!
Sue

sueandherzoo

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
http:///forum/post/2805390
Just be sure to watch fla rock for unwanted hitch hikers. There are sometimes mantis shrimp and pest anemonies. If it were me I would just buy dry rock if you already have some live. I bought some nice dry rock for a couple bucks a lb.
So far so good. Keep us updated

TeresaQ
By the way, you were very right. While I was talking with the guy who works at the LFS (the one I'm buying the tank set up from) he told me that in the last batch of live rock the store received they found THREE mantis. So glad I won't have to worry about that now - all 120 lbs. in his tank are mantis free.
Sue

sueandherzoo

Wow, this is SUCH a love/hate relationship I have with tanks. I LOVE the way tanks look when they are set up beautifully but I HATE what I go through and put myself through obsessing and rearranging and adjusting - it's SO frustrating! I started this yesterday morning and just now have it where I like it so I think I need to step away and let the sand clear and then maybe just add a few more plants but that's IT!
Here she is in the "almost finished" stage.

sueandherzoo

Thanks, Dingus..... I"m really pleased with it.... FINALLY. Now I"m setting up the HOB refugium. Since horses seem to be such a challenge to keep, I want to give them every possible edge I can. The rest is up to fate, as you so painfully learned today.