The coolest algae scraper

michaelb

I have found the coolest, easiest algae scraper. It is basically two magnets, one with a scrub pad on it and one with felt on it. You put the scrub pad one inside the tank, the felt one on the outside, oppisite each other. They attract to each other through the glass, then you just begin moving the one on the outside back and forth, the inside one follows along and scrapes off the algae. Thats it! Works great. It is made by Tunze, and apparantly they have different sizes for different thickness of glass. For those of you with brown algae that is a pain in the ass to get off, this works great. Enjoy.

thebatcave

I have had one before and they only work good on fresh algae that isn't stuck to the glass very well. It doesn't work on my tank because if I get alge it is ussually stuck on their pretty well. I like to use anything that can be hand-held inside the tank. Your hands get wet, but you can get it off really quick.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The credit card method can also assit in keeping you from using the for other purposes....like spending money! Thanks for the tip Ranger!

T

tattooedlife

Another good method is to use a squege. Damn I know I didn't spell that right. (Sqee-gee). They work good on algea that has set for a few days.

michaelb

Slyly,
Thanks for the advice. Something else i just found out (the hard way) is to be very, very careful not to get a rock in between the magnets. It will definately scratch your glass. However, i really like it and am completly happy with it performance. My store sells replacement pads and recommends that i change them every two or three months. Thanks.

cooder!

I have one of the little magnet things. It works OK for the fresh green tint that I get but coraline algae forget it! Razor blade all the way!

dean

If the pair become separated during use and the inside one falls to the bottom of the tank you've got to go in after it anyway. Besides they don't do well on really stuck on stuff. Best thing to do is a scrubber on the end of a plastic or glass rod that you can easily keep clean. Dean

michaelb

Guys,
I didn't say this was the end all, be all of scrapers. But I will say that it deinately makes it a lot easier to do a quick cleaning on your tank. When I am doing a deep cleaning, I jump right in with a blade and/or brush. But i must admit, so far this magnet thing has prevented me from doing much of anything else. Maybe there are different companies that make these, and a lot of you have had bad luck with those. I will hold off on recommending this to anyone for a month to see how it turns out. I will repost in a month and let you know about my good/bad experiences! Have fun!

chessie

For anyone interested in getting a razor blade-type scraper: I just lucked into one @ the local Sherwin Williams. The blade is 4" long & has a plastic handle. You can also get replacement blades. Best thing, it was cheeep!!! The local hardware store also had scrapers but the blades are only about 1 1/2 - 2" long. Believe me, it's the only way to go to get off any tuff stuff & coralline algae off your glass!!!!!!!

jt

Buy a magnet cleaner made by Twister. The owner of my favorite store recommended it. It works great and is very strong. I have not used any of my brushes or blades since. I will agree that you should be careful to not get gravel between the magnets. It will scratch. Otherwise, you can't go wrong with Twister.