"The Cubicle" - A 14g Biocube

ialex2005i

Well, after long thought, and a few fish shops, I decided on the tank I wanted and ordered my 14g Biocube online from *****, with free shipping. Saving me about $150 from the in-store price here in Hawaii. I was pretty stoked about that.

What I'm not excited about is the fact that my fish store does not sell coral, when I asked why they said because it's illegal in Hawaii. I decided to look that up, and the sale of native Hawaiian corals are illegal, with that said, you would think they would sell corals from other areas of the world. So I'm not really sure what I'm going to do because I really wanted a reef tank. Another thing that bothers me about my LFS is that they have about 200 yellow tangs and 100 or so firefish, I'm not exaggerating. Also, the fish are kept in about a 5"x5" box. I can take some pictures for you guys next time I'm there, it's pretty ridiculous.

So anywho, I got some liverock and livesand in my tank now, and it's 'cycling'. I'm currently waiting for my testing materials to arrive in the mail. I'm really not sure if I understand too well how I know when it's cycled, I guess if I don't have my testing materials and the cycle passes I'll never know? Everything should spike and then go to 0 which means it's cycled, right?

Another question I have is if you guys/gals with biocubes keep your blue LED's on 24/7? There's no switch which is pretty lame.

Finally, I hate when I hop in a thread and there aren't pictures, so there was no way I would do that to you guys! However, these are taken with my iPhone, so they're not the greatest!

Enjoy,
Alex

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3/ialex2005i/TankFront.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3/ialex2005i/TankBlue.jpg

ialex2005i

Not too sure what's up with the pictures, I've tried to post as many different ways as the internet allows. I'll look into it!

EDIT: ^^^ That's the best I can do :) .. It says I don't have permission yet!

al&burke

I have a 65 gallon, I bought one of those blue LED moonlights, it has two 3-watt blue lights, I keep it on all the time.

ialex2005i

Okay, I have a question. I was reading through old threads and someone started a new tank with established live rock and sand from an existing tank, claiming that the tank would not have to go through a cycle and others agreed with him. The rock and sand I got came from an established ocean, the pacific to be exact. Will my tank not go through a cycle? Am I good to start getting fish!?

nikesb

live rock from an established tank is different from uncured rock directly out of the ocean.There are organisms in your rock that we absolutely cannot keep alive for some odd reason or another. They will eventually die off therefore starting your cycle. Just keep testing

posiden

Front

Blue lights

Just thought I'd help out a few days later. You need IMG brackets on the link location to make it show up.
at the end.

Looks like your off to a good start.

T

tracher

i used to have biocube stock hood and i realy like the blue lights they make the coral realy glow but you can still order the coral no local fish store has good coral around me exept Mr.coral wich is 45 min drive

edit: i need to add that i did not leave leds on all the time bc they are to simulate night time lol i dont think it realy changes the look when the normal lights are on so if your realy lazy leave them on but i didnt use them at all theres no point i think that that light bothers my fish anyway because at night he stays where the light glows

ialex2005i

Hey, thanks for the replies guys, and thanks for uploading those pictures. Maybe I can throw up some of my own now.
Tank is doing great!

Best friends!

nissan577

really nice fish you got going on there, why dont you get astrea snails for your algae? and have you found a place to order coral from yet?

ialex2005i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan577 http:///forum/thread/380209/the-cubicle-a-14g-biocube#post_3318077
really nice fish you got going on there, why dont you get astrea snails for your algae? and have you found a place to order coral from yet?
Thanks! I actually have about 21-ish snails of different kinds:
10 dwarf cerith
5 nassarius
4 florida cerith
3 nerite
Oh and I have found a way to work out the coral thing. I can actually get coral here. Apparently zoa's are legal if they're native. I found a local diver who has a business selling only corals and I bought some from him. You can maybe see the plugs in the FTS! My green algae issue actually got really bad, so I bought a lawnmower blenny, he is amazing!

ialex2005i

So I'm starting to show coralline growth which is awesome! The tank is not that old, so seeing this is pretty exciting! Just thought I'd update. Everything is going well!