The cure for the failing goniopora

iceemn360

DONT LEAVE!!! THIS MAY BE VERY IMPORTANT!!!!SO PLEASE READ
Over the past week I came across a website which experimented with the possible causes for the failures of goniopora corals in captivity. They studied the specimens at the Waikiki aquarium and found that the thriving colony in the aquarium began to fail when put into another closed aquarium. They add no plankton and used well water (there still maybe plankton already in the tank though). The author of the article finally decided to conduct some of his own experiments on the blue gonioporas which very often arrive to stores in poor condition. He hypothesided that gonioporas suffer greatly from some oxidative process that is brought about by stress and damage that the coral revieces. To test his hypothesis, he added iron and magnesium supplements to the warter and notice that his gonioporas fully opened up. Whent he iron and magnesium decreased in concentration, the gonioporas again shrunk and exhibited poor polyp extension. When continuing to add the supplements, he found that the coral remaind healthy and extended ever since. To test this study I purchased a partially failing colony from a local fish store for very cheap.(Goniopora stoski) something like that. Well as usual the colony remained closed in my tank for several days. I then began to add the iron and meagnesium supplements and witin the next 24 hours the colony exhibited much improoved extension. Continuing to keep the levesl high, the colony seems to be recovering. I believe that one of the largest reasons for the failure of goniopora colonies in captivity is that they are introduced into tanks with very little iron and magnesium concentrations. Feeding gonioporas also seems to help. For those who have had long term success, there is probbalby some source of iron and magnesium or they already add the two unknowingly helping the goniopora. Just some experiment results for the infamously failing goniopora.

B

billb

I had one. But it didn't do well. I would like try another, if this course of action seems to work. What brand or how did you feed these suppliments, how much etc. Thanks for the info...goniopora are really nice looking but I have read they are hard to keep..maybe you have found the clue...
b.

blazehok68

wow good deal!! i have a goni and it is declining. my one perc clown snuggles with it though. i thouhgt that was the reason for the declining health, but now i am going to try with the Mg and Fe supps. thanks for the info

iceemn360

Yup, in the article, the author describes that clowns hosting gonioporas is unlikely to be the cause of the decline in health.

pyro

There was another guy on the boards which said he was having success with them by dosing heavy iron and mg. I haven't heard from him in a while though.
What are the downsides to dosing heavy iron and mg, don't they throw any other levels off? For example, extra high calcium normally infers low alk. I thought I saw a page (I beleive it might actually be in the reef tanks stickies) that explained a relationship between magnesium, calcium, and alk; I'm not positive though.
Just wondering, Thanks!

iceemn360

It doesn't matter what brand of iron supplement that you use. Just make sure that it is reef safe and to start at a low dosage and gradually increase it. Stop immediately if you notive something having a bad reaction. For the magnesium I just used a kent supplement that had it as one of the ingredients.

pyro

I wasnt' refering to the specific brands, just in general.
I would imagine just adding extra heavy suppliments of anything would throw another level off somewhere. I'm just curious on what the downside of the heavy dosing of iron and mg is I guess.
Take a search for iron and gonioporas, there was a guy that did the same thing as you and had pretty good success, it's worth reading over.

iceemn360

Sorry, still not allowed
You can, however, copy and past the text from that page and post it here, giving credit to the author.

That is the websit. (I added a space so that it would not be considered a link)

shawnts106

HEY! I just came across your research.. I myself have done QUITE a bit.. and I have found that Iron additions as well as Phytoplankton additions seems to really make these guys happy and they seem to really grow with these two additives!
I believe that Iron and Magnessium must have something to do with the Oxidative process these corals go through.. the Fe and Mg may help in this process.. so this is another part of the puzzle!.. I myself applaud you for your research... this is what makes the hobby worth while!
good luck!

speg

When people have their xenia colony explosions i'd like to see someone use iron and see if it brings them back.

sk8america

ive had my gonipora fro quite awhile i dont add iron or mag tho i just spot feed it once a week and it has more than triple in size since i got it

shawnts106

When people have their xenia colony explosions i'd like to see someone use iron and see if it brings them back.
Why... Xenias dont ussually tend to use alot of Iron.. IODINE maybe.. but not IRON.. I suppose someone could experiment with this.. but we already KNOW that this shouldnt help... while with the Gonioporas it has been seen to help... :)
i just spot feed it once a week and it has more than triple in size since i got it
what are you spot feeding it?...
see here we have someone FEEDING The coral and it GROWING.. while most people dont feed and it never blooms out! :)
more evidence.. or possible evidence!

nm reef

Pictures could be worth a thousand words shawnts.
There does seem to be information indicating a nutrient rich system...direct feedings of phyto like foods....and elevated levels of iron/magnesium seems to improve the chances of maintaining goniporas....but even with this evidence it continues to be a very difficult coral to maintain long term. I still believe for every short term success there are numerous short term deaths.
Care to post pictures of your claimed success?

speg

Originally Posted by shawnts106
Why... Xenias dont ussually tend to use alot of Iron.. IODINE maybe.. but not IRON.. I suppose someone could experiment with this.. but we already KNOW that this shouldnt help... while with the Gonioporas it has been seen to help... :)
Well no offense.. but how do you know? Nobody knew that Goniopora needed iron until someone tried it :p Maybe the reason that Xenia starts dying off after people have it growing like crazy for several months is because it is lacking iron. Why 'shouldnt' it help? :p

shawnts106

There does seem to be information indicating a nutrient rich system...direct feedings of phyto like foods....and elevated levels of iron/magnesium seems to improve the chances of maintaining goniporas....but even with this evidence it continues to be a very difficult coral to maintain long term. I still believe for every short term success there are numerous short term deaths.

Completely agree..... I will get some pics ASAP... but its 2 am here and im a bit tired.. plus the lights are off LOL!
Well no offense.. but how do you know? Nobody knew that Goniopora needed iron until someone tried it :p Maybe the reason that Xenia starts dying off after people have it growing like crazy for several months is because it is lacking iron. Why 'shouldnt' it help? :p

I suppose someone could experiment with this..

... :thinking: ..............

tonyx

Originally Posted by NM reef
Pictures could be worth a thousand words shawnts.
Care to post pictures of your claimed success?

Most beautiful, challenging, demanding, rewarding system ever...2 part natural lee eng systems, sump w/macro...nothing above NSW values!!!!!
that means Mg Ca Mn EVERYTHING!!!!! These corals let you know when things are off, immediately by retracting. Surprisingly long photoperiods benefit them all, so oxidative damage theory is incorrect, to say the very least. This one gets 16.5hrs at 9 watts gallon w good reflectors very.....high light....needs, not low at all...not even. These corals are exquisite, but its the system and experience/knowledge of the keeper lending success to long term....nothing special at all