The Dreaded Diatom Bloom

pezenfuego

I cut and pasted one time and that was for the scientific name because I wanted to be 100% sure I didn't mess it up from copying from books.
I would have cited sources if it was for a school project, but my logic was that since nobody was going to accuse me of plagiarism, it would be a waste of time. That's where I made my mistake.
However since it seems as though it may have helped some people, I don't really mind these accusations.

bender77

Great article and funny that you posted it today, I just got home from work and looked into my upgraded tank and went "Ugh! Diatom bloom"

I prefer APA writing.
I actually enjoyed the diatom bloom because I knew it was a phase that had to happen to get to the next phase.

timmytimtim

I really appreciated your article and don't care where you got the information. I'm in the middle of a diatom bloom right now and thought your article helped me understand what was going on. I've been reading a lot of posts on here and I really think you would be very hard pressed to find ANYTHING people say that has not already been said or printed in a book. GOOD JOB PEZ...ignore the haters...they are usually the know it alls that are mad because your post was FAR BETTER than what they posted on the same subject a million times, on a million forums.

mattyjatz

Great article Pez, thank you for taking the time to inform me of Diatoms. When I got off work tonight my brown algae was off the chain! I did do a water change (which was already previously planned) and cleaned most of the algae out. Although, not leaving some of it may be a bad thing from what I read...
Anyway, thanks again. I kinda freaked out when I saw how bad it was and how quick it reproduces. My tank is only about a month old. But your article helped me understand!

outsdr2

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/3048962
You do know that, without citing the source, using information that is not your own is considered plagiarism, right?
WOW very rude to make an accusation without proof. Great job! Pez!

T

tiredoldman

Where can I get a silica remover and is it a pad or liquid?. The shop I work at has a terrible problem with this. My boss cant get me a RO unit and the water is saturated with calcium carbonate as well as a host of other mineral including silica.

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by Tiredoldman
http:///forum/post/3106525
Where can I get a silica remover and is it a pad or liquid?. The shop I work at has a terrible problem with this. My boss cant get me a RO unit and the water is saturated with calcium carbonate as well as a host of other mineral including silica.
Here is phosphate and silicate remover that I've used. I never really had a problem with either when I started using it...it was a freebee. http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/10669/product.web
In any case nothing beats an ro/di unit. That would be the most reasonable solution.

pezenfuego

I'm pretty sure I'm not allowed to have another sticky after the last one lmao.
But thanks a million for the compliment.