The dreaded hair algae...

salty jeff

How do you get rid of hair algae????
I use R/O water at all times and change 25% of tank water per month. I don't over feed and clean it off when I see it but how do you stop it?

michaeltx

there are very few things that eat it and most of them are iffy. sometimes you can get lucky with them.
but some things that I would look into is
foxface lo
lettuce nudi
different crabs, sallys ,emerald , scarlet hermits , and blue legs.
royal urhins are supposed to eat it to .
lighting. a new upgrade, bulb change out, or spectrum change can cause a bloom.
water can also cause a bloom if there are any phosphates or high numbers on the nitrates.
I lost my battle but these are things that people suggested to me but I couldnt try all of them because of stocking issues.
Mike

ekclark

I have a yellow tang that happily munches mine back whenever it shows up...the hermit I have seen that does the best job with this stuff are the zebras. Maybe someone who has dealt with it more can give you better advice.

I also have it but cannot get rid of it. I have tons of macro algae growing in the tank to hopefully use up the nutrients that the hair needs...but that doesnt work. Scarlet and blueleg hermits will not eat the hair. They usually eat the macro instead.
I had success with emrald crabs but they did not live long.
I am going to try the lettuce nudi next.
I learned to live with it and about twice a week i take a siphon hose and run it into the sump, at the end of it is a small filter bag for the hang on whisper filters(held on with rubber bands). I pluck the algae off and suck it up. I take the filter bag out of the sump but continue to use it until it is full, usually about three cleanings.
Adam

michaeltx

the thing with hermits and other little critters is that it has to mowed first before they will come through and finish it off. if not its just to long for them to get eat it and they will pass it by.
Mike

salty jeff

Thats kind of what I thought. I have a emerald and 4 turbos. They try but can't get rid of it. I plan on up grading to a 250 MH and keep some of my PCs. I really want to be able to grow some SPS along with my shrooms but I don't know if the light upgrade will add to my hair algae growth or effect my shrooms.
Any suggestions or advice would really help!!!
Thanks!

S

starfishjackedme

If you have a lot of lighting there is really no way to get rid of it other than pulling it out or finding something that will eat it. I have an ro/di and use phosphate sponges, nothing works. If you have fish and actually feed them you will have it. A foxface and royall tuxedo urchin i have read are good eaters, but have yet to try those.