the fish I want.....

faraday

Okay, this is my third post. I am soon going to be getting a tank. I have my list of what I am going to get. I did post my fish list in my other posts (they were concerning other things), just for the heck of it. I figured, post in here and see what cool suggestions I get. I did notice not a lot of people put down the other items they have in their tanks, just the fish. How much does that matter, with saying the coral, inverts, etc.? Well anyways, here's my list, let me know if there are some problems with it. Oh the tank is going to be 75 to a 100 G.
When i look at my list, sometimes it looks like it will be too much. But then I see pictures of everyone's tanks, and I think my list is too small. I want quiet a bit of space in the tank, but lots of nooks and crannies, as well as caves for everyone to explore. A fun habitat, with no fighting or eating one another hopefully. The list includes the cleaning crew.
gorgoniansRed Finger Gorgonia1
hard coralBlue Ridge Coral1
hard coralFire Coral1
hard coralPearl Coral, Green1
polypsFlower/Ricordia Mushroom1
polypsPurple Bullseye Mushroom1
polypsRed Florida Ricordia Mushroom1
soft coralFinger Leather, Sinularia1
soft coralRed Florida Ricordia Mushroom1
angelYellow Angel1
blennies2 Sailfin Algae Blennies2
chromisBlue Reef Chromis5
damsel3-Spot Domino Damsel1
perculaBlack & White Percula (Tank Raised)1
tangPurple Tang1
wrasse5 Bar Mystery Wrasse1
wrasseAustralian Linneatus Wrasse1
wrasseAustralian Linneatus Wrasse1
anemoneBulb Anemone1
anemoneBuld Anemone1
anemoneCarpet Anemone, Blue1
clamUltra Crocea Clam1
conchCaptive Bred Fighting Conch1
crab20 Blue-Leg Hermits10
crab25 Scarlet Hermit Crabs10
crab4 Emerald Mythrax Crabs4
crabMarshall Island Electric Blue Hermit2
cucumbersCucumber, Red & Black1
featherdustersCoco Worm, Pink1
hard coralPlate Coral, Short Tentacle / Fungia1
lobsterRed Lobster1
plantHalimeda Plant2
plantMaiden's Hair Plant3
plantShaving Brush - Group of 5
shrimpFire Shrimp2
snail12 Red Foot Snails12
snail20 Nassarius Snails20
spongeClump Red Ball Sponge1
branchesTonga Branch Live Rock1
rockLalo Live Rock, 45 lbs or 70 lbs1
rockNambu Live Rock, 45 lbs2
rockShow Size Fiji Premium Live Rock, 85 lbs1
sandArag Alive Aragonite Indo-Pacicif Black Reef Sand1
starfishBlue Starfish2
starfishOrange Linkia Starfish 1
All I can say is, so far, and haven't even started a SWA, just been doing research, and have found it fascinating and fun. This message board and the people here have been way too helpful.

faraday

Thanks waterfaller1. I probably will make some of those changes you mentioned. I don't want an aggressive tank, I want them to all get along, or as much as possbile. I keep forgetting, the stuff will grow, and needs to grow, and they can move around. I've been using this site and marinedepotlive.com for imformation as to the behaviors, what each one will need, their size and stuff. Nothing is better than talking to someone who has actually dealt with the fish over the long run.
I was going to try and seperate those things that won't get along or will grow, but, also have read that it can be a big pain to move stuff around, especially once some of my guys have established their territories. And I take it meow, that if stick with my list, your saying I'll be pulling my hair out?????
:joy:

zeromus-x

I can tell you not to get a blue lobster, even though it says all over the place that they don't eat fish... mine apparently wasn't told that! :( I've heard similar stories about other lobster types, too. Managed to lose a Mandarin, a Clown, and a Gramma over the course of two days because of that

[hr]
While it looks like a lot of stuff, it's mostly not fish, so that's not too bad.
About getting the fish out -- remember, you're going to have a ton of live rock in there. Fish have a nasty habit of hiding when they see the net coming for them. When you've got a hundred pounds or so of rock in there, guess where they're going to hide? Search on here and you'll find horror stories of people setting up their tank with two hundred pounds of live rock, and never being able to get the damsels back out when they started attacking the new fish.
Instead of fire shrimp, how about scarlet cleaner shrimp? From what I've heard, the fire shrimp will hide and you won't see them but once every few weeks... basically a waste. The scarlet cleaners on the other hand are quite active and actually help out the fish in the tank.
Another thing to remember is that with all that live rock, you're going to have polyps and stuff growing in there that you don't have to purchase. I'd wait and see what they bring! It's best to let the live rock sit a little while anyway before you go spending a ton on corals, anemonies, etc.
Most angels will nip at your reefs and if I remember right, eat the feather dusters, too. I might be off there, though.
When I started this I did what you did -- made a list of the fish I wanted. Then I realized there was no way a lot of them were going to coexist... nothing worse than deciding on the perfect setup and seeing them all attempting to kill each other a week later!! For me, through the fish I've had, my most entertaining ones have been my pair of engineer gobies (constantly together, acting goofy... swimming backwards and upside down and other weird stuff), my brittle star (he's constantly on the move), and the green mandarin that the lobster ate. (
) The mandarin has to wait 'till the live rock has been there about a year, though.

faraday

Thanks everyone. Hopefully I will have a tank up and going in 2 months. I'll post pictures, along the way from time to time. and will, I will be on this board a LOT asking tons of questions. And again thanks Waterfaller1, Zeromus-X, and pacopetty.

faraday

Wanted to say thank you to everyone who has given me their opinions and ideas and suggestions. No tank yet, still in the learning process. So far have done research on several sites, gotten one book, "The Concientious Marine Aquarist". Going to go to the library this Monday and check out a whole bunch of books, the ones I like I will buy. Also have gone to 3 LFS in my area. All of them seem really cool, staff are knowledgable, (most have their own tanks), I have been over-hearing sales people ask "TELL ME ABOUT YOUR TANK and what's in it". I've made slight changes to my want list, and have now started my equipment list. Been using a spreadsheet to keep track of it, well actually using "Reef Con Pro" and excel. Probably make my own database. Hopefully in another month, I will have my tank and equipment. And have my wild-life list a litttle better, with a schedule of how I am going to add them.
Again thanks for helping me out, especially since I have been going to several boards, and seeing people ask the same questions, with out doing research, "what do I need to start a SWA?" I can't believe people actually jump into this with both feet.

marineman

there are so many species that won't coexist in a closed tank environment, so do not waste your money and fustration in this hobby. the only way to prevent this most of the time is careful planning and solid research on each animal you wish to place in this closed tank system. You have a big wish list so the bigger the tank the better off you will be in the long run=trust me on that!! also many fish/crabs etc can be peacefull when young only to terrorize everything in your tank as they mature so consider this fact when buying anything!! Often these devils can not be recaptured in a tank full of rocks and other structures! good luck!

faraday

First, I have to disagree with you, Sweetdawn. Yes, the money is important to starting and caring for a SWA. But I don't think that it is the most important.
Patience, some level of intellegence, love, affection and care in your heart, and a sense of wonderment, awe, inspiration and the need to grow as an individual. I think that if you don't have any of those, your SWA or any aquarium for that fact, will fail, and all it will be for that individual is merely a decoration in their home, and they will never fully enjoy it.
And also, for me, for an example, I have a dog, a cocker spaniel, name Sammy. To me, he is NOT a pet, he is family. He is considered, my little brother, or son, my friend and my confidant. If anyone has a SWA, I think that they should feel this way about the friends they put in their tank, they are no longer pets, but family. Or for that to eventually happen over time.
Oh yeah, my list has changed considerably since I first created it. I researched what would get along, and what wouldn't, as well as what each fish needs to live and if I can provided that for them. In it includes my time that I spend with the Aquarium, not just food, medicine, and equipment needs. I felt that it was best to choose those that will thrive, be happy and have a wonderful home and enviorment.
I'll post my new list soon. I'm not making any purchases until I get some opinions.
Eh, just my 2 cents worth.

alison

:happyfish Hi, and welcome faraday! I live in Lake Stevens, Washington, and I have to mention that you happen to live near all the great LFS stores! Have you gone to Blue Sierra? Or beyond the sea or "the fish store" All 3 are the best in my opinion. Especially blue sierra. Too bad Aquarium concepts isn't still in buisness they were the best for advice, but they were insanely expensive. They were the royles royce of the saltwater world. They caried the full size rare exotics, as well as common fish. They also had an extensive coral selection. I guess they only do fish tank cleaning and tank sales now.
I have to agree with what most said about too much, and not more than 1 of the same species on most. I agree with you about how the fish are your family. Good luck with everything, and feel free to send me a direct email if you need advice about a fish store or anything. By the way, Blue Sierra is in Issaquah. They are one of the better ones now. They have some sweet set ups available. Check into used though, I see them all the time in the seattle times. Good luck, and have fun! Alison

faraday

I've checked them, except Beyond the Sea. I love the Issaquah one. It was awesome, I felt that part of my research was going to an LFS, seeing everything that they have available, and asking questions. Though I haven't had to, because I've been listening in on conversations. The employees all seem extremely knowlegable. I loved the set ups at Blue Sierra, they were awesome, and lot's of choices, for everything. Well may we bump into one another sometime. Once I feel comforatable, I will soon start posting pictures of my progress. I felt that, taking photos along the way would help prove valuable to my log book that I will keep. Well actually computer software log book.