The future of energy

darknes

So what is everyone's thought on what should be the next source of energy for our world?
I know that it's not really a big concern for the public, but I think it should be. Fossil fuels might last us another 50-100 years, but what do we do when it runs out? We cannot just switch to a new source of energy overnight; it would take decades to do this. Our planet's power consumption is increasing exponentially, and we need to find a source of power that's highly efficient.
Renewable energy sources like the sun, wind, and biofuels don't seem viable to me. The only other current energy source is nuclear plants. While I support building more nuclear plants, I don't think it's the answer for our future. The amount of uranium on earth could only supply power for the planet for 50 years, plus we run into issues with risks of weapons grade nuclear material getting in the wrong hands. Hydrogen power is not an option, as it takes more energy to produce than it provides.
It seems to me that we need to be researching a better source. Fusion power seems to be the best available option, but the research will take decades and billions of dollars. The only organization that can support such a research is our government, but it doesn't seem that politicians really care.
What do you think?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I would like to see more done with solar energy. I would also think that even nuclear energy would be good, if all the safety issues could be adequately addressed. Not sure that it ever can be with a nuke plant, however. Unless they make them underground.
I think plants for energy is probably a bad idea. However, hydro energy is probably something we should seriously start looking into for wider applications.

teen

i always thought wind was a good idea. like putting large "wind farms" out in the oceans (i believe theyve already done this in some areas, but im talking about around here on LI). i was at a presentation a few weeks ago on solar panels, and they said the problem with those wind mills is that there are moving parts, and they need to be replaced every few years or what not. i guess that could get expensive.

redinator

I think solar would be common today if it wasn't for the automakers. With the advancements in technology, how could we not have solar powered cars by now!

reefraff

Originally Posted by redinator
I think solar would be common today if it wasn't for the automakers. With the advancements in technology, how could we not have solar powered cars by now!

Oh Pa-lease. Your conspiracy theory is right there with the 80 mile per gallon carburator the oil industry was supposed to have bought up.
Solar will eventually catch on as more products enter the market and prices start coming down. They already came out with solar panels that blend in with shingles. A big problem with solar is that most of the neighborhoods where people who can afford it live wont allow the ugly panels on houses.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The auto industry has no motivation to advance energy technology unless it effects their bottom line. Their role is producing a car that the public wants to buy. Saying that, you can bet your bank acct that motor companies do play a deep pockets role in attempting to influence our politicians, sway opinions, pressure, etc. As does every other big company in this country.
Ultimately the demand of the citizens will drive alternative energy development in this country. Its a big expense and anything major will result in altering many, many things that all of us have come to rely upon.

darknes

Originally Posted by redinator

First of all, a car could never get enough power to run on solar power. And as far as even hybrid cars...Auto companies would love to build them if they knew people would buy them. But guess what...they don't sell. Trucks and SUV's are what the consumer wants, so that's what they build. If a solar powered car was possible, and a company put millions into producing them, they would go bankrupt because they wouldn't sell.
I think solar and wind energy sources are ok to invest in for the short future, but we need to look further. You cannot run a vehicle, a train, a boat, or planes with either of these. Our energy demands are increasing at such a large rate, that eventually we'd have to cover the whole surface of the earth with solar panels to achieve enough power.
We need to find a source of energy far greater.