The going rates

reeferdude

I am starting my own aqua maintenance company and would like to know how much the going rates are for maintenance.

spinner

FWIW -
The most common mistake a person can make in starting a small business is not understanding the cost of doing business, and whether the proposed income can support the costs.
While it's important to know what other maintanence companies charge in other parts of the country, it is much more important to know what your competitors charge and what they provide in services.
I'd suggest a basic business plan that defines your objectives and lists the costs you will regularly encounter such as transportation, supplies (Test kits, RO DI water, salt, etc.), marketing, taxes and the like. Once you have determined your costs, does the income you plan to make cover the costs and leave you enough left for a wage.
I realize that you probabaly know this info already, but I've seen more than my share of individuals believe that since they can maintain tanks that they should start their own maintanence company. Unfortunately, few succeed because of their inability to run a business.
If you have a passion and are willing to mind the details, you'll be successful.
I may not have answered your question, but I hope this helps.
Spinner

reeferdude

My dads owns an A/C company that he started out of our garage and now does 5-10 million a year in biz, so I have a pretty good mentor.

aidos

well if buissnes is that good want to hire a Aussie, u will have to fly me ova but looks like u can cover the cost of the ticket. lol
sounds like the perfect job, could imagine doin something better and gettin paid for it.
good luck.

nm reef

I currently maintain a 220 reef...100 bowfront fish only...and a 120 algae consumed mess(but its getting better)...I charge $25 per hr and additional fees for water testing/suppliments/equipment installations/water....my primary interest is in providing a service and not generating income. This is still a hobby for me and something I enjoy.I currently make about $300-$350 a month which is returned to my system. Sort of feeds my habit and allows me to spend time doing something I enjoy.