the good, the bad, and the ugly skimmers

kochankr

hi everyone, i've been trying to decide on a skimmer, and there seems to be a few choices out there....
from your experience, which ones would you not use again, and which ones do you like?
thanx

sammyw

I have a PRIZM Deluxe, but I find that any fluctuation in the water level causes the surface skimmer to be ineffective. Other than that, It works good.

jmick

Originally Posted by kochankr
its for a 50 gal tank... flagstaff ....
Aqua-C Remora Pro, hands down the best skimmer for the money!

zman1

Are you looking for a hang on tank or in sump or free standing skimmer. This may for a few change the reccomendations.

travis89

Originally Posted by thefishy
aqua c well worth the money. no messing with air valves and stuff hook up and go.
agreed

kochankr

well it would be very easy to get the hang on skimmer, however, i do plan on upgrading to a larger tank, and it would be great if i didn't have to get another skimmer then.... as for the sump i was thinking about building one but there is no room under the 'stand' so it will have to be located right behind the tank, that shouldn't be an issue right?
so for a skimmer that would work in sump or next to a sump maybe?
and thank you everyone for the input, its been about 20 minutes since i posted and wow i got answers!

zman1

I have only had experience with two:
A Seaclone HOT/in sump -Ugly
ASM in-sump only - Good (Or BAD for the appropriate euphemism).

kochankr

so a free standing skimmer would probably the best choice since it would work great with a sump in the future, so what's the best choices on those?

zman1

That will be the tough one to find for your plan to convert... The top section of the skimmer has to be above the water level of the tank or sump that it's connected to. To sit it on the floor and use it on the tank today (no sump), It will be a monster skimmer.

kochankr

zman1, could i have the sump on the same level as the main tank and the skimmer right next to it as well....
my tank is sitting on top of a counter wich is supported by 2X4 boards and there is no room to place anything below it... but there is plenty of room next to the tank.
so basically have all three , the tank , sump, and skimmer on the same counter? or is it just a bad idea, does the sump have to be below the tank level?

zman1

To answer your question - NO (not required to be physically below), but needs to be qualified on overflow and water levels.
With what you are describing a HOT may be better for you. I think the Corallife are Hot/Sump convertible. You may not to even want a sump if you talking about on the same counter. A refuge may be better and you can set that higher than the tank in this case.

kochankr

well i think i'm sold on the Coralife Super Skimmer its rated for up to 220gal, so it'll be great for the upgrade time, and you can use it in sump of hot! thanx everyone!