The greatest words ever spoken.

bluemarlin

My wife and I have relatives visiting us crom California. Last night was their first night with us. While giving the custom house tour (it was their first time at our house) we stopped at my 180 gallon aquarium. Here is a big part of what makes this hobby so cool! The two kids, ages 12 and 9, couldn't take their eyes off of the tank. Their mother and my stepmother also were mystified by the tank. All I heard was quiet mumors of how beautiful this was and "Oh look at that" and "Look at that fish"! Now this was cool enough, but they started asking questions about things. "Do you mind if I ask you a few questions about your tank?" Do I mind? ITS WHAT I LIVE FOR!
At that momment I looked at my wife. The tank is located in my office in the basement and she was sitting in my chair at my desk. My eyes were big with excitment and she said, "You look like a little boy." She knew I loved the idea of having people ask questions about my setup. After answering all of their questions in far too much detail, I heard my wife say, "I think its time for a bigger tank." You've never seen a man turn around so fast. My ears picked up that sound and nothing else.
"What did you just say?" I asked her. She said that the 180 was nice but wouldn't it be nice to have one even bigger? "It just looks too small and it would be really nice if it just filled the wall." I practically fainted!
I can't believe that I haven't ordered it yet!! But you kow whats funny? I just finished framing in the tank and painting the room two weeks ago and here I am planning again. What a hobby!!
Sorry if I rambled but to actually get permission before begging for a new tank is just incredible! :D

joerdie

thats awsome!! every time i start talking about building something new i get the standard eye roll and the most annoying question of all time... "whats wrong with the 4 you have now?"

bluemarlin

Well, I live in Michigan so if you want to make the trip, I'll ask her to talk to your wife for you. ;)
I really can't believe she said that. For years I have gone through all the rolled eyes and the "another tank?" stuff but here she is telling me that I need a bigger tank? This must have finally rubbed off onto her. It really caught me off guard.
(And no you cannot have her. She is now under lock and key) :D

teewin

My wife is supportive, but not quite THAT supportive.
I noticed that you lived in Howell. I'm a fellow reefer living in Howell. I was wondering what LFS you use. I have yet to find one I completely love.
You can e-mail me at mmbbone@hotmail.com
Thanks,
Teewin

wrassecal

That's gret BlueMarlin and I don't where some of you guys got your eye rolling wives but I may be getting a job where I'm not in a home office anymore and I'm not thinking about strategies for the job, I'm thinking about strategies for getting the 20 gal tank in the new office. how my husband needs to build me a nice stand and canopy for the 20 gal and what I want to take out of the display tank to get it started and where in the new office would the best place be to put the tank......... :D

jim672

BlueMarlin,
My wife bought me my tank, stand, and basic set-up equipment.....but when I talk about upgrading, I'm not getting a warm reception
Well, I've said it before....you're my hero!! :D :D
Jim

indy mike

Great Blue Marlin, My wife pretends to complain about my 150 and why do I spend so much time with it. The funny thing is you would have thought there was an international emergency when she frantically called me on my cell when a green chromis swam into the overflow box. I had to walk her through how to get him out over the phone, I think she likes it a lot more then she lets on. I don't see any problem with having a reef tank in a formal living room, we weren't using it for anything else. You better not think on this and act fast while the green light is on if you want to get a bigger one. have fun, Mike