The LFS from H-E- double hockey sticks!

djminus1

Lol.....just called them. Asked them if they were trying to rid the world of marine life...then called him a fish Nazi...and got hung up on.
I'll call back later.

bdkdave

You wouldn't be biased there would ya falcon? :D
Lol - I found that earlier when I clicked on your WWW link....

falconred

no i got nice shop.and joes place is well in need of work lots of it. this is one 4000 gal of saltwater we run at my shop

~sc~emt~

I know about what you guys are talking about here in SC too, there is one store here that is horrible to ALL of their animals and of course all of their fish get the worst treatment. But I am blessed with the best LFS I've ever been in. The owner really knows what he is doing and helps every one of his customers personaly.

bdkdave

There once existed a VERY nice store in Raleigh... owners were very knowledgeable and wouldn't sell if they didn't think your tank would support the animal. They truly cared more about the hobby than the $$$. The store was immaculate, and had some of the most incredible specimens I've seen in a while.
A rare find in the current LFS world.
They've since sold, and I sure hope they open another store soon...

~sc~emt~

Thats excatly how my LFS is, the owner is very knowledgable and helps with every question or any situation his customers has. If he doesnt have what you want he will get it if its possible, and he QT all his fish befor he puts them out to make sure they are eating and healthy. Wonderful store. couldnt ask for anything better.

jonny bolt

It sucks bad when places conduct themselves like this. Write to the paper or something, getting the word out sometimes is the only way to smarten people up. If you can affect their pockets, thats the only way some people learn. Hit em in the wallet.
Seems around here (coastal New Hampshire), the popular thing is to house marine fish in tanks without enough structure. I often see large shipments of new fish at local LFS's, with all these fish stressed out from fighting over the one good live rock they have in the tank. Fish start dropping to the bottom within the first hour of receiving them. Why dont these guys just add enough rock for all the fish they dump into the tanks? It seems like such a simple task, minimal effort needed. I am going to continue to say something about everytime I go in there.

boalgf

this clown trigger was beautiful with vivid coloration when they got it originally. you can't really tell by the pic, but now he is extremely faded and very inactive. here he is lying at the bottom of the tank

boalgf

Here is what they are calling their white throated eel. can't tell what kind it was before the damage it sustained. body markings look like a tesselata

boalgf

last one for now, here's a blurry pic of the place. they had already cleaned out most of their dead before i got their and luckily didn't recieve a shipment this week. the shredded lion and zebra eel both didn't make it. the guy working there said they had cared for them when a customer brought them in already sick and injured. what lies they tell. I saw them put in the lion a week ago and the eel was healthy a few weeks back. they have their staff trained well. but you can imagine what this place is normally like when they actually do get new livestock. i'll include more pics in about a week if they get a shipment.

icfish

The way I see it the only thing You can do personally is maybe get a part time job there and try to keep everything straight. At least that way you could take care of the fish.

veganman

Those pictures are disturbing!
There's a LFS nearby me that is just as "nice" ( Think seahorses and triggers in the same tank, with a snowflake eel in a hamster ball. Needless to say the seahorse was eaten, but probably for the best, as it was starved beyond rescue the last day I saw it alive).
Losers.
Unfortunately it's the ONLY store on this side of town. I gave them a chance once..................now I make the drive across town.
What gets me is that this LFS cuts deals and gets raves on the local club board.
I don't care how cheap, the establishment is so ethically challenged (I cannot fathom the lack of respect the owners have for life), I openly discourage anyone from going there.
I notified PETA about Aqua Rama. We PETA freaks love a good fight! LOL!!!

boalgf

Awesome since I really have not had any luck with my attempts. Please keep us informed on the "PETA project." :happyfish