The LR of numerous surprises. Suggestions requested.

marine qa

I just returned from my LFS with what should be my last piece of LR for my 46g w/20g refgium sump. And guess what came with it.
First, about 3-5 hermit crabs of unknown variety. I spotted these at the store and put a few into the sump. Very cool.
Second, and most alarming, what I believe to be a good sized (2-3inc) Banded Blenny. The tank is ideal for it: 60#LR with plenty of hiding places, 4+incLS, and the only other fish is a tomato clown. HOWEVER, its transport was terrible. I brought the rock home in a cooler filled w/about 2inc water and covered w/wet paper towel. And its acclimation was instant. I only learned of it as I was adjusting the LR and it peeked its head out.
I am very concerned that it will not live. I will keep the lights off for the next few hours but aside from that I dont know what else to do. SUGGESTIONS READILY ACCEPTED. Furthermore, if it does die I will probably have to break the LR in half to get it out as its deep inside a crevice.
I would be grateful for any suggestions.
Thanks.

mr . salty

I would be inclined to think that if you saw him pocking his head out,he will most likly live.But if it does die,all the crabs you have in there should take care of the cleanup before any ammonia problems have a chance to appear.Good find,Hitch hikers are always a pleasent surprise.

jimi

Ther is not much you can do. If he makes it great. If he does not dont worry too much about fishing him out the crabs will find him and make a quick meal of him.

dugan

I had a friend that cleaned his tank, took all of the stuff out (!) and only later realized his Niger Trigger was missing.
When he put the tank back together his Niger Trigger popped out of one of the rocks. No harm done, though it was out of the water for hours. Go figure.
In any case, I'd say your little guy has a pretty good chance of survival at this point.
I've gotta think that fish is going to be a character too after all he's been through!
:)
Katie

marine qa

The blenny lives. He/she is a banded blenny about 3inc. It didn't eat this morning but its swimming around. The new LR must be a maze of holes since it can poke its head out one and can instantly appear in another.
I really hope he/she makes it. My clown doesn't know what to think.
As to the new hermits, should I move the one remaining in the main tank to the sand where more food should be? Its on the top on the new LR and there's nothing up there.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
It occurs to me that this is the reason that LR is so expensive....store owners KNOW that we are going to be getting a whole bunch of "freebies" with your LR, so they charge extra for that!
:D