The NANO Police!

rbaby

Yeah...nanos are definitely more work than a big tank...but you know, I'm a noob too and I started with a nano. As long as you do your homework and take the responsibility seriously, then I think you should be fine. This is my first tank and it's 12 gallon and things have been going very well. I had my Eclipse 12 for 6 months before I upgraded to my modified JBJ 12. So I'm living proof that a nano for a noob is not impossible...:)

manjisann

I don't beleive anyone ever said that nano tanks are not for newbies. I beleive the main problem is people will go out and buy equipment and livestock without doing the research. I agree with everyone, research, it will save you so much in money, time and heartache.
I don't really agree on it being as expensive though. If you think about it, there is less live rock, and less live sand. You also can't stick quite as much in one.
so as a recap class, Less + Less = Less. But keep in mind it is still expensive. My 20 gal with about 10-15 gal fuge has still cost me well over $700.00, and I did a lot of the work myself. This hobby is not for the person who is not commited. But if you are it is a great hobby, and very, very addicting.
:happyfish

laddy

IMO......nanos are not necessarily that hard, they just require one ingredient: attention to detail.

rbaby

Originally posted by ManjiSann
I don't beleive anyone ever said that nano tanks are not for newbies.

Then you obviously didn't read the first post which I was particularly referring to:
For starters, nano tanks in my opinion are not for the beginner. A nano tank (NT) is far more difficult than a 55 gallon or what have you. Furthermore, NT's are not a cheap alternative to a bigger tank. If you set it up properly, it will still be expensive. And if you choose to not set it up properly as an avoidance of costs, then dont bother in the first place.

vyperone

Just to chime in....
No, I do not have a nano yet... Working on it though. What I started with is a 100g reef and graduated to a 220g which in my opinion is great. I figure if my clowns are laying eggs, my BTA's are splitting, the biology, must be good. the biggest thing is this; when I first started my maintenance was almost everyday. Between testing and tweaking it was all I could do to sit down. Once my tank found a natural equilibrium within itself, the maintenance went almost to nothing.
While chemistry in a small tank is vital I fully believe once the tank has "leveled" out, the maintenance will go down and so will chemistry spikes. Because each component, whether it be fish, live rock, or sand is different in its own makeup, so will be the parameters for our tanks.
With that said I am looking forward to the challenge of creating my own nano.
thanks to eveyone here for some great info, and most of all the life experiences.

fishieness

Originally Posted by VyperOne
Just to chime in....
No, I do not have a nano yet... Working on it though. What I started with is a 100g reef and graduated to a 220g which in my opinion is great. I figure if my clowns are laying eggs, my BTA's are splitting, the biology, must be good. the biggest thing is this; when I first started my maintenance was almost everyday. Between testing and tweaking it was all I could do to sit down. Once my tank found a natural equilibrium within itself, the maintenance went almost to nothing.
While chemistry in a small tank is vital I fully believe once the tank has "leveled" out, the maintenance will go down and so will chemistry spikes. Because each component, whether it be fish, live rock, or sand is different in its own makeup, so will be the parameters for our tanks.
With that said I am looking forward to the challenge of creating my own nano.
thanks to eveyone here for some great info, and most of all the life experiences.
hahaha, thats funny that you post now when earlier in the thread someone asked people to search for threads.

grumpygils

Just stubled on this thread and I can attest that nanos are not cheap. a 75 g cost is only about 20-25% more (if) than my 20 g. I probably have over $1,000 in this 20g. I was a newbie and made all of the mistakes which included the stupid (my bust) death of a percula, y tang and b tang. Impatience (which I still suffer from) is the biggest money consumer! This web site has provided me a ton of info and I wish I knew about it when I started! Thanks to all who probably rolled their eyes at some of my questions! Most are very helpful! I do firmly believe that a nano is harder than a large tank!
GG

locnload

Nano police is a great title for this thread!
But I wouldn't say Nanos are not for begginers. The person who doesn't do research and commits all the mistakes of starting a tank would do that regardless of what tank size it is. While having a bigger tank is more forgiving, I'm willing to bet the larger tanks will have more livestock then a nano and the lost will be greater. It's not the size of the tank it's the person that's setting up the tank that is the key in success or failure.
If you do your homework and have patience I believe a begginer can set-up and maintain a Nano tank.
My 12 gallon Nano is the only SW tank I've ever own and once it got established all I've had to do is a monthly water changes by using package sea water. I've head it for 2 plus years now. While I do agree setting up a nano isn't much cheaper then a large tank I would point out the savings is in the maintence.
I have 1 perc, 1 firefish, hermit crabs, cleaner shirmp some shrooms (adds colors) and other types of hardy soft corals. The only thing I've lost is a crab.
Let's not scare begginers aware from nano tanks and into bigger tanks. In the long run the bigger tanks may turn out to be te bigger mistake ($$$) and cost more lives of fish and corals.

zoie2

I don't see how some people say a nano isn't cheaper than say a 50 gal. I bought my mother in law a 33 gal. long and was looking to go salt water. The LFS said the lighting had to be intense and would be 700$ the filtration had to be super filtration and would cost about 1,000. Not to mention how much LS and LR you would need. For 129.00 I got everything all included. I only had to buy 20lbs LS and I got 10lbs LR. How can that not be cheaper? Granted I know it won't be easier, but I think like most posts say, patience and homework and listening to those that have been there are the key.

devilboy

Originally Posted by zoie2
I don't see how some people say a nano isn't cheaper than say a 50 gal. I bought my mother in law a 33 gal. long and was looking to go salt water. The LFS said the lighting had to be intense and would be 700$ the filtration had to be super filtration and would cost about 1,000.
whoever told you this statement is full of crap.

grumpygils

Originally Posted by zoie2
I don't see how some people say a nano isn't cheaper than say a 50 gal. I bought my mother in law a 33 gal. long and was looking to go salt water. The LFS said the lighting had to be intense and would be 700$ the filtration had to be super filtration and would cost about 1,000. Not to mention how much LS and LR you would need. For 129.00 I got everything all included. I only had to buy 20lbs LS and I got 10lbs LR. How can that not be cheaper? Granted I know it won't be easier, but I think like most posts say, patience and homework and listening to those that have been there are the key.
$700 for lights and a $1,000 for filtration on a 50G? Do they not have web access?
Mc

bluegirl

My 9 gal sw tank is my first sw tank. I find it easy to keep, especially with minor daily maintenance. But I also read these boards for about a month before I even got my tank and set it up. Research is the key to keeping a successful tank, IMO.