The New Frontier

fishman830

Well
the unfourtunate demise of my reefette, which recently fell to a terrible case of hair algae
left we with a shot of uncertainty. What to do next? i've got no surviving fish, except for the god forsaken sump dwelling clarkii clownfish
I was thinking what i would do, with enough research, would be to get a shark
before you scoff this off let me tell you a bit about my system...
180 Class cages w/ dual overflows, MAG 36 return, ASM G3 skimmer, 10 gal fuge 125 gal sump. 3x 250w MH 2x 140watt actinic...
300 lbs of live rock
Interesting predicamen, i know, but what would you think i should do? I was thinking about a Bamboo shark, i'd set up another 10 gallon tank to for the feeder (marine shrimp) shrimp, and also i'd feed scallops clams, etc.
What do you guys think? and what other fish could go with 'em?

psusocr1

the 180 would be alrigfht for a shark for a short time...also thats alot of live rock for a shark, they do like open swimmign area however unleashed has ALOT of live rock and she suxccessfully keeps her shark... as for other fish if you go with a shark, puffers and triggers are out due to their nature of pickign at sharks, but you coul dkeep tangs, groupers, etc. im sure alot more people will chime in on this but i just wanted to get you started

fishman830

Also, in addition to the 300 lbs LR, and skimmer, what other filtration would you say i should get. and a side note i top off and WC w/ RO

unleashed

Originally Posted by Fishman830
Well
the unfourtunate demise of my reefette, which recently fell to a terrible case of hair algae
left we with a shot of uncertainty. What to do next? i've got no surviving fish, except for the god forsaken sump dwelling clarkii clownfish
I was thinking what i would do, with enough research, would be to get a shark
before you scoff this off let me tell you a bit about my system...
180 Class cages w/ dual overflows, MAG 36 return, ASM G3 skimmer, 10 gal fuge 125 gal sump. 3x 250w MH 2x 140watt actinic...
300 lbs of live rock
Interesting predicamen, i know, but what would you think i should do? I was thinking about a Bamboo shark, i'd set up another 10 gallon tank to for the feeder (marine shrimp) shrimp, and also i'd feed scallops clams, etc.
What do you guys think? and what other fish could go with 'em?
to be honest if your having hair algae issue you were also most likely having nitrate and phosphate issues
this is one thing you will need to correct to keep a shark.the hair algae itself is not harmful to your fish whatso ever its bad for corals due to them smothering them out.that aglae is a natural filter.yes i have well over 300 lbs of LR in my 300 but as my shark grows i will have to reduce some to give more free swimming space for my shark.baby sharks are very sensitive to water quality.if this is something you really want to try be sure sure to have a good plan to start him off right such as qt tank when you get it dont just dump into your 180 and expect him to feed easily i started mine off in a 48x12x18 refuge so he would get used to hand feeding (easy access) no lr to start with in his housing he hid in macro algae( i lost my fist banded cat due to his small size got stuck on a pourous peice of LR and could not get free in time) large varety of meaty foods fed frquently when small and larger les often but daily feeding as he grows and adapts. be prepaired to replace cleaning crew nesseary for your tank as your shark will eventually eat them(its what they do) they are not hard to care for if you put effort forth and have the budget to do it.weekly water changes testing the normal routine but is a must. do alot of research before hand make sure this is something your willing to do for a very long time.do not assume if you change your mind it will be easy to give away or sell to another hobbiest or aquariium even a lfs most wont take them off your hands . good luck

fishman830

i didn't clarify correctly, again, i'm pretty much going to first let all my levels settle to zero, and wait till the hair algae is gone, and then i will,and only then after that is all said and done possibly get a shark. i've got the budget, and cash on the side for this on taking, but i guess first i need to set a few more things up...