The Plight of the Burmese Python in the USA/FL Continues

aw2x3

From the head structure and the coloration, it looks like a Red Tail Boa...definately someones pet. Not sure what the temps are, in that area but it most likely died from exposure. RTBs are great swimmer but I'd bet money the air temp and water temp did it in.

browniebuck

air temp here has been unseasonably warm, water temps can't be higher than low 50's (if anywhere near that high). I know that it had to be someone's pet...how irresponsible, at least try to find someone in the area that is capable of taking it, this person had to know what was going to happen to the poor thing.

reefraff

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/3254304
Can a polar bear survive as a black bear in N. Florida? No. If all polar bears were placed in N. Fl....or anywhere in the lower 48 for that matter, all of them would did off. Snakes are native to different states, and that geographic environment....not all snakes are tropical as are the Burmese.
Missed this but there is a polar bear in the singapore zoo, that's fairly warm i'd say. I doubt a black bear could survive polar bear habitat though.

aw2x3

Originally Posted by browniebuck
http:///forum/post/3255685
air temp here has been unseasonably warm, water temps can't be higher than low 50's (if anywhere near that high). I know that it had to be someone's pet...how irresponsible, at least try to find someone in the area that is capable of taking it, this person had to know what was going to happen to the poor thing.
And unfortunately, this is the exact reason us responsible reptile keepers are in the predicament we're in now.
I never turn down a rescue. I just traded off a rescued Peruvian Red Tail Boa (a fairly expensive locality) for my Mangrove Monitor (Varanus Indicus thread) and still have two 6' female RTBs, both rescues, I'm trying to find a home for. They both came to me from one person, who "got tired of them". After not feeding them for almost a year he said he got tied of looking at them and gave them to me.
To me, that's like saying "I got tired of this dog I had, so I just stopped feeding it and it died...oh well". The only difference is snakes can go upwards of a year, without eating and survive. The two I have were emaciated beyond belief, but with a little TLC, they're both back up to health...one of them does hate the world and every human she sees, but who can blame her. Lol

reefraff

Originally Posted by AW2x3
http:///forum/post/3255721
And unfortunately, this is the exact reason us responsible reptile keepers are in the predicament we're in now.
I never turn down a rescue. I just traded off a rescued Peruvian Red Tail Boa (a fairly expensive locality) for my Mangrove Monitor (Varanus Indicus thread) and still have two 6' female RTBs, both rescues, I'm trying to find a home for. They both came to me from one person, who "got tired of them". After not feeding them for almost a year he said he got tied of looking at them and gave them to me.
To me, that's like saying "I got tired of this dog I had, so I just stopped feeding it and it died...oh well". The only difference is snakes can go upwards of a year, without eating and survive. The two I have were emaciated beyond belief, but with a little TLC, they're both back up to health...one of them does hate the world and every human she sees, but who can blame her. Lol
Maybe you are already doing this but have you ever thought of starting an official rescue with maybe a web adversising and such? I imagine space might be an issue but it seems to me anyone who has care for their animal enough to keep it alive more than a few months would be willing to go an extra mile to give the critter to a rescue rather than just turn it lose. I'd love to do something like that but not bad enough to go through a divorce

aw2x3

My permits, that allowed me to keep my Cobras were actually all inclusive and it was a "rescue license".
We all saw how that turned out...the state really isn't too keep on me, right now and nor am I, on them.