The puffer that was safe?

reef_dart21

I am trying to add color and diversity to my tank rather then all coral, so i would like to know if valentinees puffers are semi safe or safe with a urchin/sps and other coral.

saltagain

i dont have any corals but ours sure likes to eat snails.dosent really bother the hermits or the urchin (blank long spined) though.

aquaknight

I have a Hawaiian Blue Spotted. All he does is prowl the rocks, looking for food. IME, any invert is far game. He will sit and hound some of my large snails, picking at whatever he can get, a snout, eyes, antenna, etc. He picked at elongata xenia, and for whatever reason, did a number on my Bali Green Slimer. The rest of the SPS (poccil. monti capps, and acros) and all of my gorgonians, a toadstool, and my BTA's have been safe.
Also, what size tank? I strongly disagree with a lot of people on this one, but my puffer was QT'ed in a 55gal, and he was very unhappy being confined in there. Moved to my 125gal, completely different fish.

watergardenut

I added 4 new featherdusters to my 75 gal. Sat. I have a large stars and st ripes puffer with other assorted fishes. When I checked on the tank in the morning on Sun., all that was left of the featherdusters was empyt casings with suspicious puffer sized bites out of them. I don't know for sure... but I'm almost positive he's the culprit. Live and Learn.

U

usirchchris

I have a valentini in with three urchins, crabs, ornamental shrimp, and snails. It does not bother any of them. even had some polyps in with it, that it never bothered. Then I added a scrawled boxfish, and that was then end of my polyps.

leopard_babe

You wouldn't put a blue spotted in a 55?? Just for my own curiosity why not?? They don't get that big. Some of the dwarf angels get bigger. I was looking to put one in my 46. Is that a bad idea then??? I have been researching I thought that they only get about 5 inches.
Just wondering.

leopard_babe

I see. I had a puffer that ate all my snails, but never touched the cc starfish.
i like the blue spotted alot. Thanks for the input.
Reef_Dart21: I had a pencil urchin in with my porky. My porky was kinda simple, he never touched my urchin, or my starfish. Just ate all my cuc.
and FaLLenSyNNer is right, it is a flip of the coin if the fish will touch your corals or not. I've kept "reef safe" fish that ate corals. I've kept "non reef safe fish" that never touched my corals

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Leopard_babe
http:///forum/post/2779381
You wouldn't put a blue spotted in a 55?? Just for my own curiosity why not?? They don't get that big. Some of the dwarf angels get bigger. I was looking to put one in my 46. Is that a bad idea then??? I have been researching I thought that they only get about 5 inches.
Just wondering.
I'm a little confused, but I'm getting older. I was just referring to the question about LARGE puffers.

aquaknight

Just wondering.

Originally Posted by srfisher17

http:///forum/post/2779633
I'm a little confused, but I'm getting older. I was just referring to the question about LARGE puffers.
Think she's asking me...
Yea, I have a 55 gallon quarantine tank. When the blue spot was in there, a sigificant part of the time he was in there, he spend pacing the glass. He'd go up and down the glass and rub his nose all along it. I did buy him quite large, about 3.5", so many it's because he was already an adult when purchased, but now that he is in my larger 125gal, he's a completetly changed fish. 50 times calmer, and has not pacing the glass once.

leopard_babe

I kept a porky in my 46 for qt, he was NOT HAPPY. When he went into the 180, happy fish

I agree big puffer in 55 way to small.
I was confused by what I read. I apologize.
I was concerned by the comment that AquaKnight made regaurding his blue spotted puffer in a 55. I have a 46 and am considering getting one. I am not into putting fish in a tank and then getting rid of them because they get to big. lol. I have learned that is a pain in the butt, and stressed the fish way to much.
So blue spotted in 46 is ok, but when he gets older and bigger, he might go crazy... hmmm...
I just like the puffer personality. They are fun!

prime311

My porcupine puffer did the same thing AK(still does sometimes). He calmed down after a few weeks though.

fats71

Just wondering.
I had a large blue spotted puffer that recently passed away after my move but he started out in my 75 gallon reef tank never touched any inverts or coral and he hung out with my foxface and scopus they all three were always side by side was weird.