jamiegrl

ok! my shrimp is gone... i mean gone from the tank
I have hermits, snails, a feather duster, dieing suncoral,
, a flame scallop, a percula clown, a bangaii cardinal, and 6line wrasse
ive had this really active shrimp for abouta month if not more
He has always got along with tank mates extremely well
the wrasse, FD, and scallop are new additions
could the 6line have eaten him
i mean it's just weird i never saw anyone picking at hime and i def cant find his body!
I also have some green things growing out of my LR
it is bright green almost cactus looking sticks with fuzzy tips sticking out of my LR... any idea on what it is?

saltymac

I dont think the 6 line ate him. Maybe hes in there just inside a piece of LR. I notice that my inverts are sometimes missing for days only to show up after Ive written them off. Your second question, no idea, got a pic?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by jamiegrl
i mean it's just weird i never saw anyone picking at hime and i def cant find his body!
it is bright green almost cactus looking sticks with fuzzy tips sticking out of my LR... any idea on what it is?
How long has he been missing? What kind of shrimp? Why is your suncoral dieing? Can you post your parameters for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, Kh, SG, cal, and temp? As for the stuff growing on the rocks, can you post a pic of that?

J

jamiegrl

ok the long awaited pics
and btw the shrimp is def gone... im just wondering where his body went...
ph 8.4, phosphates r like 1.5, nitrates spiked to 160 (im lowering them), and alkalinity 300
SG is 1.025 and temp is 81
they shrimp was fine with a nitrate spike a month ago
it's just weird that i saw him one night and the next morning he was completely gone
no trace at all

bigarn

That's club algae .... at least that's what I call it. I'm sure there's a scientific name for it.

J

jamiegrl

i also have these... any idea what these are???
they are like white peices of string that attach mainly to the pack piece of plastic and are really hard to get off

anthropo

Originally Posted by jamiegrl
the 6 line definitely would have been the culprit in killing the shrimp. i know it seems ridiculous but i use to have a 6line that would terrorize shrimp. i had him in with a fuzzy dwarf lion who i use to feed live feeder shrimp. as soon as those shrimp hit the water that 6line would tear them up and swallow them. the first time i put the feeder shrimp the tank he cut the biggest one in half, literally. if the shrimp was a lot larger, chances are it killed it ripped it in pieces and swallowed it. whatever it couldn't finish i'm sure your hermits finished it off.

J

jamiegrl

any ideas on what the white string are on the back of my tank posted above???

H

h2ocrazy

Sorry to hear your tank isn't doing so great. What is the update on your Sun Coral? What are you feeding it? I have changed the diet on mine and they are doing great, I mix Cyclopeeze and Mysis shrimp. I pour a bit of the Cyclopeeze over them first before attempting to feed, then about 10-15min later they are out and ready to eat. Lately I have been changing my feeding so as to make them open during the day versus them opening at night, so it takes me a total of about 30mins to feed.
The growths on your glass seem to be Calcareous Tubeworms they mostly grow on LR, but some stray and end up on glass and other areas on your equipment. Not harm full, if anything they are beneficial scavengers, but unsightly to some.
The algae I believe is Neomeris annulata also known as caterpillar weed.
I guess you have figured by now that th 6 line is semi aggressive and will eat shrimp, You may also want to be care full of adding any new fish as they are more aggressive towards new fish. With this fish in your tank I would definitely stay away from any fish whose diet consists mostly of Copepods or other pods as the 6 line will not leave enough for another tank mate(such as dragonettes, scooter blennies and others).

ruaround

i would imagine your shrimp is molting... they typically become inactive, stop eating and hide before they molt...

mikeyjer

With the nitrate spike, shrimp may have died from it....How long have this tank been setup??? What size tank is it?? You must feed Sun Corals, there's couple ways to do it. One that a lot of people like to do is to take it out of the tank and place it in a bowl and sprinkle some mysis shrimp over it. Those stringing things look like feather dusters.

J

jamiegrl

sun coral isn't doing so hott so im making the choice to give it away
it never bloomed so it made feeding extremely difficult
then a hitcher gorilla crab attacked it
i didn't know my water parameters were that off (i used quickdip which were WAY off) tank has been cycled for 3 months
im just trying to make it more stable
i also have one rock with extreme algae on it (ONE ROCK)
the rock has mushrooms on it and they are shriveling up

any ideas on that one (phos is 1 ppm and i have a phos filter in)
i bought this rock w algae and since it's doubled and there is no algae on rocks in the rest of the tank.... weird

H

h2ocrazy

I want to ask what kind of current is being generated in your tank? and are you running a protein skimmer? as not doing so would explain your levels spiking. If this is the case then you should cut back on feeding and until you have a protein skimmer do 10-15% water changes weekly once your water quality is good, every day or two until it is good.
The reason for the mushrooms shriveling up is an excess in nitrates and phosphates. They can be very sensitive and may even drop off of rocks when they are not happy. Unless they melt and disappear do not throw them away, they will spring back up as soon as your water quality is brought back up. they are very hardy.
The hair algae actually likes phosphates which explains it's growing. if you want it off the rock you will have to pull it out and take it out of the tank. either by hand picking it out or pulling the rock out and scrubbing the algae off which I'm guessing you will not be able to do as the mushrooms are on it. In either case it will continue to grow rapidly until your water quality is in check. Blowing detritus off of the rock with a turkey baster may help, if any is there.
Adding a macro algae would actually bring your nitrates and phosphates down. The best one to add would be chaetomorpha as it will eat up the nitrates and phosphates while feeding your pod population. Another plus to this species is that it does not go sexual like other algae and will not attach to your rock, making it easy to remove if you do not like it.
Oh, and sorry to hear about the sun coral, if you were closer I would gladly take it.

skipperdz

do you have an overflow for your tank? if so it may be in there, one day i found 2 peppermint shrimp, my starry blenny and my hawaiin puffer in there....and last week my pink fairy wrasse was in there.

H

h2ocrazy

Originally Posted by skipperdz
do you have an overflow for your tank? if so it may be in there, one day i found 2 peppermint shrimp, my starry blenny and my hawaiin puffer in there....and last week my pink fairy wrasse was in there.
Wow, you keep a puffer with shrimp?? Good luck with that when the puffer gets big, it will have an expensive snack on you. Puffers and invertebrates don't mix well.

skipperdz

well this puffer doesnt grow to a full size puffer, this will get 4in tops. yea i have 3 peppermints, CBS, LTA, 3 emerald crabs, porcelin crab, hermits and soft corals. they say the hawaiian blue puffer isnt reef safe but its really only not safe with clams.

H

h2ocrazy

Originally Posted by skipperdz
well this puffer doesnt grow to a full size puffer, thisi wll get 4in tops. yea i have 3 peppermints, CBS, LTA, 3 emerald crabs, porcelin crab, hermits and soft corals. they say the hawaiian blue puffer isnt reef safe but its really only not safe with clams.
Good luck, I have no experience with salt water puffers, but if they are like freshwater or brackish water puffers they get more aggressive as they grow. I have a dwarf(pea) puffer in my planted tank and he will kill a fish more than twice its size if not fed. Not to mention the spotted puffer who actually eats other fish and not just inverts. But I have read about the hawaiian blue and it seems he is more docile than it's cousin. They are "reef safe" in thoery, just not invertebrate safe this includes anemones. If you ask me, puffers and any inverts should not be housed together unless you can afford the snack they will have. All in all good luck and sorry to hijack your thread jamiegrl.

dinks

What size is your tank? Maybe you shouldn't have stocked it so heavy even after 3 months. Also corals should not be added until the tank is well established. What kind of lighting for that scallop? Some take very high lighting.

renogaw

scallops don't need light, but no one seems to know how to keep them alive for very long.
the sun coral is a nocturnal feeder, so if youre not looking at it after lights are off, that's why. what were you trying to feed it? before feeding mine, i swish some of the frozen food in the water so it senses food being added. once the lights are off and the polyps are extended, thats when to feed it. if you want to give it a home, i can send you money for shipping. i'll bring it back to life :)