The Real deal on bristleworms--too many still safe?

moksha

I've never had a problem with them, but now I must have about a hundred, in a 70 gal FOWLR tank. Are too many a problem? If so, what kind of fish can I get to eat some, I have hermit crabs, a cleaner shrimp, and koran angel, with a damsel and clown.

I have an Aarow crab who adores Bristleworms. I see him often searching through the sand and looking under rocks for them. When he finds them he consumes them, sometimes it takes him a day or two but he leaves nothing.

big dave

Ever see those small red worms digging thru your LS keepin it stirred? Those are babies of the infamous Bristleworm. They are good at doing their job as a stirrer of LS. Don't mess with them they don't harm anything.

moksha

Yeah, I've seen plenty of them, it doesn't look like they harm anything. I've got a couple big ones though, about 5 or 6 inches, pretty thick too. They are ok?

adrian

Bristle worms in general are excellent scavengers, and a vital addition to any LSB, but if the population is allowed to get out of control it may cause a problem. A genration boom of bristle worms is usually do to over feeding, or poor nutrient output. Coral banded shrimp and arrow crabs will both actively hunt them down, but may become a problem themsleves when they reach a certain size. They are both known to attack and eat small, slow mioving fish. Most wrasses will eat bristles. Some pseudochromis will also eat bristles but can also be quite aggressive. Your best bet would be to get a six line wrasse, most will constantly eat bristles, but there size limits them from taking out the entire population. HTH