the right protein skimmer

ok, i move my tank from onehouse to anouther and it has been set up again since the end of january. i know i should have had but did not have a protein skimmer on there before i moved... now my problem is when i set the tank back up i forgot to distance it from the back of the wall far enought for a skimmer. i have about 2.5 inches to work within the back. that canopy that i have is open in the back and then i have a cut out on one side for my filter "stuff" does anyone know of a skimmer that has atleast a 2 1/2 inch long spill way back into the tank. i need that space so i don't have to cut a huge hole out of my canopy. any help would be wonderful.
thanks
:help:

does anyone have the EXACT complete measurments of the prizm that was the one i was looking at but i don't want to buy it and have it not fit... thanks

moto757

from the manual it is 13.8" high and is 2.4" thick the pro is 20" hgigh and 3.5" thick that is from my book i got the prizm skimmer and there isn't very much hanging off the back the same dimensions are probably on the web site too you can also move the arm which hangs outin the tank i got mine turned all the way in so i can fit my lid which the cutouts only fit hotb filters

moto757

and if you are wondering on the skimmer powers on it I would say it is an average skimmer very good for the $ though it pulls out a good amount of stuff from my tank and my fish look fine actually when i get my new tank which will be 75 or more i will put it on that too

jlem

I have had both the seaclone and the Prizm and the Seaclone is a much more user friendly skimmer and pulls out just as much if not more gunk. I use a Seaclone 150 on my 125 gallon reef and really like it.

i have thought about the seaclone, but for one i don't have the room behind my tank and my canopy is is the way if i put it on the side, the other is the reviews on the seaclone vs. the prizm are in the prizms favor all the way. so i think i just nee to find one that will fit my tank. if only i had remember about the skimmer before i moved the tank and filled it with water...

jlem

Originally posted by pumpkin_52483
the other is the reviews on the seaclone vs. the prizm are in the prizms favor all the way.

I understand that the Seaclone won't fit which really stinks. I am curious how many of those reviews have had both for more than a couple months to really compare them? Both are definately on the lower end of skimmers but they also cost alot less than the high end skimmers. You really get what you pay for. A friend of mine had a Red Sea Air lift skimmer that sits inside the tank. That thing pulled out tons of dark gunk and is another way to go.

jc74

I had the Seclone 150 and could never get it to work. It seems that people either love their Seaclones or hate them...many have to modify them to make them work.
I would either drain the water and move your tank from the wall or invest in a sump. Most people seem to have better luck with Remora Pro or Urchin skimmers than with Seaclones and Prizms. The Remora only requires about 4" of clearance. Like another poster said, you definitely get what you pay for. If you can afford the step above, get it...I've wasted more money by trying to "save" money.

i have thougth about the sump idea, but i have cats, and they are very curious, they try and play with my fish through the glass and it is very funny to watch the fish basically say "ha ha ha you can't get me..." i do not need cat hair filtering through my tank and sump. i think i will try and see what the prozm does and how it fits. thanks for all of your replys