The Rock Of Aiptasia

sunburnt

I bought a few small rocks today... this one has a nice blue shroom ...and... and... these! :scared: :scared: :scared: Aiptasia, right? It was "dry" when I bought it, so I couldn't tell what it was going to be... and there are at least 20 of them. I'm just wanting confirmation from the experts, since this is my first dealing with aiptasia. That "free" $10 shroom is going to cost me $20 for some shrimp, isn't it?

froznfinn

I'm told if you could inject hot water into them they'd croak..I've got my own score to
settle with this weekend..same situation nice rock with ton of polyps and 3 large aiptasia
..i wasn'y going to deal with them until my son said they'd start to spread.. :mad: so I guess he was right..aside from hot water and joe's juice some peple have said to use
lemon juice..

xtech

if they were dry when you bought them,i would take them out and boil them. i would do it before the spores spread to the rest of your tank...

fishy7

I had a bunch of spores on some rocks I bought from my LFS. The aiptasia was mostly wiped out by a loaner raccoon butterfly. He had a lot to eat and did a great job...
I have 5 peppermint that keep some other spores around to nibble on. It is under control at the moment but believe if I left it up to the shrimp, I would have the same amount. Fat and happy shrimp are lazy and if they become to lazy.....shrimp cocktail
Just teasing.
Shrimp are good to maintain spores but not good for eradication. This is my experience with aiptasia.

sunburnt

I was actually wondering how the shrimp get rid of it when they're basically tearing it apart, which is not so different than me ripping it off the rock... LOL
I can't boil it... there's a large blue shroom on one side...
Does anyone know: Will the syringe type thing that I use to give my dogs medicine work for this? I want to try the boiling water approach first.

millerman

i saw a thread where someone took a kithchen knife and put it on the eye of the stove and got it im guessing red hot and put the "hot" knife on the problem area.