the saddest thing happen

davidsmith1019

its weird last night i feed my fish and all 5 of them have eaten fine swimming and everything, this morning i noticed they were all dead besides myy sfe witch is just breathing hard not moving though, know i checked everything there is nothing wrong i even put my hand in the water to see if there were a electrical current in the water nope, know here is the funny thing my 2 puffers were floating around dead like they were alive kinda like they saw a ghost anyone have any ideas what could of killed them so quick

davidsmith1019

i have none thats the funny thing they died in about 4 hours, so quick i never seen a dead puffer float i have no idea what happen im so pissed i wanna sell my tank

kpk

just a thought but i have heard that puffers can release a deadly toxin into the water if they die, maybe on wasnt feeling to well and died and released its toxins.
hope this helps some
kyle

cnlight

Thats right, puffers are very toxic, you really wouldn't want to kiss it. :D The puffer could of gotten something. You tested your water right? Don't give up, I know it frustrating when expensive things die, but keep with it and everything will hopefully go good for you. :yes:

aarone

i even put my hand in the water to see if there were a electrical current in the water nope
thats not very smart now is it?
aaron

drakken

Originally posted by aarone
thats not very smart now is it?
aaron

Only if you hold on to a metal pole while standing in a tub of water. :eek:
Seriously, sorry for your loss. Like others said it sounds like a puffer went toxic. Unfortunately there is no test for that.
Do a big water change but leave the rocks a sand alone so you do not have to re-cycle the tank.

aarone

Originally posted by Shine~ON
Wouldn't the toxins that were released show up as ammonia?

probably not because it was not ammonia that was released.
The decay of the fish woiuld show up as ammonia.
aaron

balistidae

I had a similar experience. I had a large dogface with one eye that died and all of the other fish also died within a short amount of time. My SFE was also alrite. So my bet is also that the toxins killed your fish