The SNAIL KILLER

Well yesterday when i added 100 new snails to my 300 gallon tank. Well, i saw this fuzzy crab picking them up and eating them out and leaving. He look like an teddy bear crab exept he dosent have pom poms. Does anyone have any idea about this species

Well i have no camera but he looks just like an teddy bear crab and he just come out of the free live rock i got. i could probly get him out if i disturbed the tank a lot.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by feelingfishy
Well i have no camera but he looks just like an teddy bear crab and he just come out of the free live rock i got. i could probly get him out if i disturbed the tank a lot.
Were the snails in a seperate bag or did everything come together?

sepulatian

How did you acclimate them? Crabs usualy eat things that are already dead. Is it possible that the snails had died durring shipping? 100 is a lot of snails. Far too many for even a 300 gallon tank. The crab that was in your rock would not have attacked the snails or hermits unless they were dead already. Again, how were they acclimated? Did you see them cruising around then attacked?

Well im pretty shure he was attached to the rock and then ate him he has like an pile of 5 in the same spot dead! The reason i got snails and hermits is because ive been battling algae. The hermits are good but the snails suck. Do you no if marine betas will pick on corals of snails. Cause hes been curious

sepulatian

Well im pretty shure he was attached to the rock and then ate him he has like an pile of 5 in the same spot dead! The reason i got snails and hermits is because ive been battling algae. The hermits are good but the snails suck. Do you no if marine betas will pick on corals of snails. Cause hes been curious
Again, how did you acclimate them???? What is your SG? If he has a pile of five then they were already dead. How long has this tank been set up and what color is the algae?

tank is like 3 years old green hair algae and red cydno bacteria. Not enough to hurt anything but its ugly. I just temp aclimmated them cause they werent in water

sepulatian

tank is like 3 years old green hair algae and red cydno bacteria. Not enough to hurt anything but its ugly. I just temp aclimmated them cause they werent in water
100 snails weren't in water? Many of them likely died in transit. I would not worry about your crab, he was doing you a favor by cleaning up.

lesleybird

They were not in water? Who ships these things without water???

zeke92

first rule of tanks, if you want safety for your animals
1. either go all crabs or all snails. crabs eat snails for food and shell. snail go run. crab go snap. snail die. crab move on to next snail. end of snails.
so either have all snails, or all crabs.

mjessu

Originally Posted by Lesleybird
They were not in water? Who ships these things without water???
Saltwaterfish.com ships them without water. At least the package of astrea's that I got from them were not in water.

dut

I ordered 3 turbos and 10 nassraius snails for my tank and they were all shipped in water, from this site.

renogaw

yea, swf.com ships their snails without water.
best way to acclimate them is to stick each one to the glass at the top of the tank and let them go into the water themselves.

renogaw

btw, you have a gorilla crab...
does it look like...