The Start of My 125g Tank Diary

deltablack22

This is the start of a sick project. Does remind me a little of AZ's stand.... Where exactly do you guys get the knowledge to build these stands? When I go big I'm gonna do it myself but honestly wouldnt know where to start. What are your resources?

azfishgal

Originally Posted by DeltaBlack22
This is the start of a sick project. Does remind me a little of AZ's stand.... Where exactly do you guys get the knowledge to build these stands? When I go big I'm gonna do it myself but honestly wouldnt know where to start. What are your resources?
My husband just looked on-line at different stands, went into lfs and looked at those and then started building. He drew a very rough draft of the project, but no real "plan" to speak of. He does have a background in construction though, and his dad made our doors. We made sure, before the stand was finished, that we would be able to pull the sump out the door opening and then also get the skimmer out without pulling the sump out. So our stand is actually taller then the ones in the lfs, which I like. You can look at the tank in a normal standing position and yet still see it well while sitting down. I think the ones in the lfs are to short.

deltablack22

Yeah the construction background has gotta help. If I do end up trying to build the stand myself that is going to be a long drawn out process, but I'm sure knowing that you made it yourself is pretty rewarding. For not really having a plan he did a great job on your stand.

derickd

i never out the stand i just looked at azfishgals pics alotant went from there. I knew it would hold a lot because there tank is stil up

azfishgal

Originally Posted by derickd
i never out the stand i just looked at azfishgals pics alotant went from there. I knew it would hold a lot because there tank is stil up
I still have a fear of waking up to a very loud CRASH!!!
Just kidding.
The stand is a tank and it's not going anywhere. My husband laughs now because he now thinks he over engineered it. I told him, I'd rather it be built like a tank, then to have doubts about it.

derickd

will i hoped to work on stan to day but its raining out so here are some pics of my 29g fish tank. i know the one pic is blurry but it looks cool

azfishgal

Are those fish going in your large tank? They are going to think they are back in the ocean.

Don't really need those bubbles though, some think it actually hurts the fish, to me it's just not "reef" looking. Freshwater yes, bubbles are good, reef tank, don't need them.

derickd

yea they are staing in the 29 i thought they looked cool. i wished i had panted the back but i stil like it

nate0729

great looking LR! Lots of coraline!! Can't wait to see more pics. Yea, i don't see that stand going anywhere. That thing is serious

derickd

i love my 29g but i got my tank at walmart bad idea. spent way more then i need to on add ons and upgrads

its>salty<

oh thats not good! well i work at a fish store so i get a discount on my equipment and i get the newest stuff too so theres an advantage

derickd

got some more done. just a little. i got the back on and front and back supports on the base on. the supports are just 4x4 cut out for the 2x4 to fit in

derickd

well its been a long time but i'm back. I got some more done on the stand. let me know what you think so far

jonp

Talk about peace of mind. Looks good and looks like it will definately hold whatever you're setting on it.