The Tears of an Aquarist

quakstar

It is 420 am here in north carolina i just woke up to a weird smell in my house and not one to do with the time... I wonder around for a little bit and found the smell coming from my aquarium the heater had shorted out and was smoking out of my refugium
But the short caused some crazy stress on my fish and yes i believe i am going to loose a few of them '
Irony ordered a grounding probe last night

good news all my corals look awsome

wangotango

Sorry to hear about that. It's a horrible smell isn't it. I had a glass heater explode and the smell lingered for a week.
-Justin

angelman

Sorry to hear about that.
Has happened here also when I had a smaller tank.
Not a pleasant smell at all and as has been said and man does it linger!
Good thing I never need one in South Florida for a 225 but if I did, would prefer to go with a metal, non glass one.

J

jrthomas40

what do you all think causes these heaters to short??? i hear a lot of stories about heaters and it kinda makes me want to take mine out

copeseter

I have had every brand heater you can think of and have not had any good luck with any of them no matter what the price.

bullitr

soory for the loss
that is why i remove my heater in my tank the metal halide is hot enough to heats the tank even in winter i just put the mh closer to the water and it only turns on at night. my temp is 75 when the mh is off and 78 when mh is one i set my chiller @ 77 during winter and house temp @ 70 and the my tank never go below 75 ever since i remove the heater

quakstar

bulltr i am going to go with your plan from now on....
PS the best news is even with a majority of my fish on the bottom last night I have only noticed one fish missing today... So maybe I caught it in time but more than likely i will have atleast one or 2 case of HLLE but atleast All but one are living right now

emm0909

Wow, I bet your tank looks electrifying! lol. Sorry to hear that man. Makes me think I should put the ground that is sitting next to my tank IN.
Do you put a ground in your sump or should you put it in the display? There is equipment in both.

ccampbell57

sorry to hear about this. I had this happen in my QT and it fried almost $300 of fish

I learned my lesson and now use Stealth heaters.

cyco

just had my heater go out and it was stuck on!!! Lost almost everything. Sad thing is I really didn't need one, just had it for the winter months in case!

bullitr

Originally Posted by cyco
just had my heater go out and it was stuck on!!! Lost almost everything. Sad thing is I really didn't need one, just had it for the winter months in case!
just do what i'm doing if you want?

myzislow

sorry to hear but sounds like you caught in time. What kind of heater was it? I have had the same ebo jager for about 4 years now. Never one preoblem with it

That is a pretty scary thought, just another thing to worry about
. Its too bad I need one, or I would remove mine as well. Even with the new HQI my temp hasnt budged a bit. and its getting COLD here at night now.