The Times they are a Changin'

bb7551

HUMH, interesting topic, I do know that without fooling with mother nature we will not be in houses, eat corn, even beef. have dogs, or cats not to mention fish or corals, what we should do is not focus on advancements like this but to look more into saving the normal looking ones out in the wild, who cares what we do in captivity, as long as we are not actually HURTING the fish, Full sttem ahead, PS I would buy a fish like this, they are pretty cool, and a nice convp oiece, the only worry I would have is people getting this fish without really knowing how to care for it properly. John

gobyinpeace

I don't have a problem with people who want to keep these fish if enough research is done as far as an enviornmental impact (which may be very little) is concerned. I just think some more studies might be in order before these mutated organisms are introduced to the general public and possibly the enviornment.
I like many on this site will still prefer to keep "natural" fish. Others might be facinated by these mutations. These fish (if they can remain healthy and are not stressed as a result of their manipulation) can provide many with hours of enjoyment which is not such a bad thing IMO.
It would be nice if they would focus their research on way to get a SW aquarium fish to resist ich and other parasites.

broomer5

Interesting topic for sure GobyInPeace
The Times they are a Changin
Lifeforms are Changing - but over an extremly short span of Time.
Messing around with the natural order of life may end up with life messing around with us - eventually.
By doing such things we are imposing quick changes - changes that often do happen naturally - but take tens or hundreds of generations to occur. Evolution has it's time. Removing the time from the equation short circuits the entire natural process.
Manmade "improvements" to a species may not be improvements in the long haul.
Just because we can - doesn't mean we always should.

polarpooch

We genetically manipulate things all the time. We genetically engineer crops, selective breed livestock and pets, experiment in gene therapy and now the AMA has decided "therapeutic human cloning" is OK...I think glow in the dark fish are among the least of our Brave New World worries...
Besides if you think a glow in the dark fish is bad, you will FREAK when you click this link:
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/scien...bit000918.html

lionstorm

this is a little weird.... because my freshwater fish tank on my desk is directly under a black light. So now its possible for me to put fish in there that would glow?
Seems cruel to inject fish with something that would make them glow unnaturally. My fish I have always freak out when I turn on the black light so it never gets used.
I won't pay for animals that have been changed for our convenience. It's on the same level of declawing a cat so it can no longer scratch one's furniture or defend itself, it's just wrong. Nature made things how they are for a reason, we shouldn't be tampering with them. Besides these are all relatively new achievements, no one knows long term effects of this on fish, they could be very bad.

bb7551

you would not have a cat without genetically manipulating them... all the different forms, sphinx, tabby, ect all genetically manipulated. John

buzz

John, where do you get your information about cats? I find it strange that cats in various breeds have been around for hundreds, if not thousand of years, prior to science reaching a point of being able to genetically alter or engineer them.

broomer5

You're right polarpooch - that is freaky :p
Looks like glow in the dark pets will be all the go - for children's gifts next year.
Sign stapled on telephone pole.
Lost Dog
Missing one ear
Left front leg shorter than right
Some lower teeth missing
Fur and one good eye both glow in the dark
Answers to the name of "Lucky"

reefnut

Originally posted by broomer5
Sign stapled on telephone pole.
Lost Dog
Missing one ear
Left front leg shorter than right
Some lower teeth missing
Fur and one good eye both glow in the dark
Answers to the name of "Lucky"

:D lol

gobyinpeace

Let's get back to the root of things here as a bigger picture is starting to develop.
It seems like this glowing jellyfish gene is making its way around the biotech labs, ie Bunny rabbits, Fish, and Christmass trees.
Lets let these little lab rats know that that we want a more benificial approach to their research instead of these "Coney Island" circus acts.

fshhub

it is not engineering or tampering with mother nature, to cross breed for a desired outcome.
however, this is, in a way.
I wilnot support it
as for the fw fish, it severely shortnes their life and they are often unhealthy too. Wont touch that one either.
Dogs and cats, have merely had planned marriages, so to speak, in order for us to get the breeds we have. But that is no different than Dobie female getting loose and having fun wiht an akita male. The only r3eal difference is that instead of it happening by chance or accidentally, we put them together. To control it and have healthier dogs and cats. Certain crosses can be severe problems for the animal, in the future.

azeritis

There are several problems that can occur when cross breeding, or breeding. The harlequin great danes may be born deaf, just like many white cats can...
Also the are several characteristics that animals have in terms of shape size etc... For example trying to use sperm from a charolais bull (which is developed for meat) to a holstein cow (which is developed for milk) may cause injuries to the cow, simply because the size of the head of the unborn veal is larger than the one from the holstein baby.
When I mentioned why we keep cats, dogs birds etc... I simply meant that these animals did not naturally develop to kept indoors. We did it for our needs (be it security, pleasure, whatever).
So in the same way that we cross breed dogs, cattle, cats to get specific body structures, colours, etc.. in the same way these scientists cross breed fish and use science to get a specific outcome.
Is it ok to do it in order to get leaner, better looking, faster growing veals and fish?
Is it ok to do it in order to get faster growing , more yielding crops?
Is it ok to do it in order to get stronger, taller, better looking dogs?
Is it ok to do it in order to get better looking flowers?
Then why it is not ok to do it in order to get glowing fish?
IMO, ethical dilemas are answered by a yes or a no. There are no yes but.... If you use bioenginnering for one cause, then you may use it for everything. Because then the problem that arises is who decides for what we can use it?