the titan trigger is here...reluctant eater...

marillion

He's pecked at some brine shrimp, but only ate about 6-7 pieces (Thursday morning), and has been in the tank for about two days (put in on Wednesday at 10:30am). Explores a bit, but mostly hides...
Should I just leave him alone? Keep the lights off all the time? I know sometimes it takes fish up to two weeks to fully acclimate to their new surroundings.
Some info about the situation : the titan trigger is 3" and is alone in a 50-gallon box tank with 20-long refugium. The tank has been set up for 9 months, and the 'fuge around 7. The refugium is jammed with rock, a 5" sand bed and 7 different species of caulerpa. The tank itself has around 100 lb's of live rock, all cured and from my 2-year-old 75-gallon reef's sump, with a 5" sand bed.
No other fish in the tank, and a 20 gallon water change was done the day before he was put in.
And before anyone complains, this is a temporary setup because I'm moving in two weeks. Upon moving, he will be transferred into a 5-foot, 110-gallon tank.
Any advice is appreciated. I know quite a bit about triggers, but am paranoid about this guy because of what he is...
Peace,
Chip

grouperhead

Let him chill for a while in there. Might want to keep the lights a little dimmed. I've had some fish that didn't fully acclimate for a while. Is it going to be the only fish in the new tank? Bo

marillion

I'm still debating on that...I'd like to keep him with other 3" triggers for a while. I certainly have the tank space to separate them if need be. I was thinking others with the same body shape. In other words, no queen, clown, niger, etc. But instead I'd have a picasso, undulate, and that's about it. They'd both be 3" as well, and all three would be in the 5-foot tank with about 300 lbs of rockwork...
However, I'm still debating this...
Peace,
Chip

marillion

Well, the point is moot. I went home at lunch today and he was dead. Now to take issue with The Marine Center's quality of livestock. Good thing I immediately pointed out that he had a growth near his tail and what looked like ich on the tail itself, not to mention he looked malnourished.
Anyone have problems with The Marine Center before? Should I be braced for a no-win, uphill battle?
Peace,
Chip

grouperhead

Dang, that really sucks. Contact them ASAP and tell them what happened. You might need to freeze the fish, so if you are able to ship it back for a refund/credit it will be preserved. Sorry about that. Never ordered fish online, only snakes. Bo

marillion

They just wrote me back and said to send it back and they'll give me credit. I hope they can get me a replacement, though...I'd rather have the fish. I'll try and get a 5" one this time, if they can possibly get it. I really don't care if I have to pay more, it's all about getting this fish i've wanted for quite some time.
All-in-all, they've been really cool about it, so hopefully I'll get what I want in the end.
Peace,
Chip

splash1914

I have had problems with buying fish over the net in past years..... Now I only buy fish I personally see eat at the LFS...

marillion

But now, the question is...what do I get if they don't have one in stock? I suppose I could let the credit sit for a while (they said 60 days, I believe) and see if they get one. But if they don't, I'll be forced to get something else.
There are lots of awesome fish there, but the question will be what I feel comfortable keeping so I don't kill anything. I know a bit about keeping marine fish, but am also paranoid.
:)
Peace,
Chip