The ----- truth about censorship.

nitschke65

So, I just posted something on another thread and used the words "

[hr]
eye." When I submited that post, I was shocked to see that the word "

[hr]
" had been removed and replaced with five dashes. This is bizarre. Improper language is one thing, but to automatically censor the use of words like "

[hr]
" is insane. Who are we protecting here? Many very offensive things could be said on this, or any other site, without the use of any offensive words. The word

[hr]
is not dirty, or offensive, but automatically removing it without seeing the context it is used in, seems to make it dirty and offensive.
What happens if, God forbid, I need to ask a question about how to tell if my halameda is going sexual? Will I be able to get an answer, or will everybody just be snickering because (insert Beavis voice here) "he said sexual"?

stdreb27

Originally Posted by nitschke65
http:///forum/post/2879621
So, I just posted something on another thread and used the words "

[hr]
eye." When I submited that post, I was shocked to see that the word "

[hr]
" had been removed and replaced with five dashes. This is bizarre. Improper language is one thing, but to automatically censor the use of words like "

[hr]
" is insane. Who are we protecting here? Many very offensive things could be said on this, or any other site, without the use of any offensive words. The word

[hr]
is not dirty, or offensive, but automatically removing it without seeing the context it is used in, seems to make it dirty and offensive.
What happens if, God forbid, I need to ask a question about how to tell if my halameda is going sexual? Will I be able to get an answer, or will everybody just be snickering because (insert Bevis voice here) "he said sexual"?
words like s-crew are sensored too. You can understand why when you see some of the spammers that get through. It isn't that big of a deal...

renogaw

there are many words automatically filtered due to the nature of certain spam. P-aris, H-ilton, etc are some as well. Sorry, just somethings that have to be done :)

sepulatian

There is a filter on this site that removes certain words. It was put into place, as mentioned, because of certain spam that we used to receive. Moderators are not deleting your word. It is automatically done. If the word that you are trying to use is perfectly acceptable for what you are describing then you can add a dot or a @ in the word to bypass. However, if you bypass the filter to use a term in an inappropriate manner then we will remove it and, depending on the situation, warn you not to post something of that nature again. If possible, think of an alternate word to use that will not be filtered out.

nitschke65

You mean everyone on the internet isn't wholesome and good?

BTW My halimeda definetly has some white "growth" going on, but has not gone sexual, (completely white with very dark spots) and that, my friends, is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the (n@ked) truth!

stdreb27

Originally Posted by nitschke65
http:///forum/post/2879695
You mean everyone on the internet isn't wholesome and good?

BTW My halimeda definetly has some white "growth" going on, but has not gone sexual, (completely white with very dark spots) and that, my friends, is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the (n@ked) truth!
Is it growth or death? Halimeda is ca based and when that stuff dies it turns white.

sepulatian

nitschk65, you may want to start a thread in the reef section about your Halimeda. Your question about words being edited has been answered so I am going to close this before everyone decides to have too much fun with bypassing the filter. Everyone please remember to be appropriate on the boards. We all like to have fun, myself included, but this is a family site. These words are perfectly acceptable in some situations such as discussing corals but please use your best judgment when responding on these boards.
Thanks.