the truth about palytoxins

S

sudc

Caution is always a good idea but lets not get crazy. Everyone and their mother is fragging zoos like they are going out of style and the stories of people getting sick are VERY few and far between, if true at all.
Like viper said, the VAST majority of zoo species dont even have palytoxins.

reefkprz

I agree SUDC, I originally posted this to protect my self from any potential punitive action because I was showing people how to frag zoas, if I did not post the info some one could potentially sue me for neglecting to mention it even though they should do their own research, Sue happy america is always looking for the quick buck. its also handy info to have and be aware of. the most common types of zoanthids to contain paly toxins are protopalythoas, like the palythopa grandis and such.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by MoneyMan
You left this out:
Palytoxin is the most toxic natural product known, it is estimated that the lethal dose for a human is less than five micrograms. Supplies are extremely limited as it is only found at low concentrations in the corals that do contain it, although this may change if a microbial source is found.
Non-Competitive URL: http://www.cinfo.com/Biological/Toxins/Palytoxin.html. This site is a collection of factsheets on biological and chemical warfare agents.
I think this stuff is dangerous. But, it is normally no more dangerous then a bottle of Tylenol, poison ivy, peanuts, or a bee sting. But, if I dont post again after playing with my zoas tonight.. dont listen to me :)
actually the info about the microgram dosage is in the first post the URL however was not thanks for adding that.

knockout

excellent data! thanks for looking out for the fellow reefer, specially beginers such as I... so here is a well deserved bump!

bird dog

My Emperor Angelfish ate a bunch of my zoos.

He just got fat.
Good thread I don't want to be the one in a million. A little more care is in order for me.

T

tizzo

I have always worn gloves when dealing with zoas, but not because of the palytoxin risk... Who in their right mind wants to handle those slimy things littered with bristleworms!!
So my neighbor got a splash of "brain juice" in his eye when he was acclimating. He didn't lose sight except for 2 weeks and his eye was as swollen as a baseball!! Funny in retrospect but at the time he thought he was gonna die, LOL... It prolly wasn't PALYtoxin, but just the same, precautions should be taken...
Good article. Nice and quick.

reefkprz

there are all kinds of bacteria that live on the outside of corals think of each coral as a random petri dish of funky stuff that may or may not get you sick. proper precautions should be used when handeling any coral.

deltablack22

Originally Posted by Tizzo
http:///forum/post/2605838
So my neighbor got a splash of "brain juice" in his eye when he was acclimating. He didn't lose sight except for 2 weeks and his eye was as swollen as a baseball!! Funny in retrospect but at the time he thought he was gonna die, LOL... It prolly wasn't PALYtoxin, but just the same, precautions should be taken...
Good article. Nice and quick.

About a year ago I had to go to the ER after a 2 hour fragging marathon. I'm usually pretty careful when handling them but I think I got spashed in the eye or mouth as well. My airway started to close up and my face was swollen with some kind of wierd rash on my face and upper torso - doctors said they'd never seen it which didnt suprise me. I told the doctor I had heard of something called Palytoxin before (probably somewhere on here) and nothing else was unusual about my routine except for coral contact. They looked it up and said that had to be what happend... It sucked!!!

bird dog

Originally Posted by DeltaBlack22
http:///forum/post/2606111
About a year ago I had to go to the ER after a 2 hour fragging marathon. I'm usually pretty careful when handling them but I think I got spashed in the eye or mouth as well. My airway started to close up and my face was swollen with some kind of weird rash on my face and upper torso - doctors said they'd never seen it which didnt suprise me. I told the doctor I had heard of something called Palytoxin before (probably somewhere on here) and nothing else was unusual about my routine except for coral contact. They looked it up and said that had to be what happend... It sucked!!!
Rubber gloves hear I come

deltablack22

Originally Posted by Bird Dog
http:///forum/post/2606980
Rubber gloves hear I come

Still dont wear 'em... You just lose so much feeling.

Honestly I'm a poor role model because I have a full box of rubber gloves under my tank and I rarely use them. If it happens again I'll buy stock in rubber gloves, double my stash and wear a WWJD bracelet to remind me to put on gloves when fragging.

I actually had one squirt after I fragged it...I was carrying it back to the tank....It squirted the longest squirt...lol I definitely take this seriously now, I mean I did before...I wore gloves, but after seeing how far it could squirt...it was a couple feet. Makes me want to wear eye protection now.

harris28

Originally Posted by sly65sally200
http:///forum/post/2664763
I actually had one squirt after I fragged it...I was carrying it back to the tank....It squirted the longest squirt...lol I definitely take this seriously now, I mean I did before...I wore gloves, but after seeing how far it could squirt...it was a couple feet. Makes me want to wear eye protection now.
As soon as I read about it I went out and bought a bag of gloves and a face sheild. Trust me if it can happen, it will happen to me!!

mr_x

Originally Posted by Harris28
http:///forum/post/2664786
As soon as I read about it I went out and bought a bag of gloves and a face sheild. Trust me if it can happen, it will happen to me!!
i've never worn gloves. i just squint when i'm cutting

reefereric

Not only do I close my eyes, but I also don't hold onto the frag... I just swing wildly and blindly until I connect!
But seriously, be careful folks!

vayapues

Wow!! I had no idea. I tend to be the research type, getting obssessed with the hobby. My two neighbors who are also in the hobby just buy and put in their tanks without really knowing what they are doing.
I will make sure to share this. I will be buying gloves tomorrow.
I handled some of my zoos earlier today, completly unaware of the danger.

palytoxined

I have been a victim of palytoxicity poisoning. I service tanks for a living and was in a reef tank cleaning bubble algae. I cut two of my fingers while scraping the algae off the live rock, then proceeded to get it out from between the zooanthids (no gloves on). MISTAKE!!!! It didn't take long for a burning sensation to occur on the three cuts on my hand. Later that night, my middle finger looked like a balloon! Reddish purple in color and the cuts looked infected. The throbbing sensation felt like I had slammed my hand in a door. My wife is a nurse. She had to cut the wounds back open and squeeze out all of the fluid and drain my finger (to me....it felt so tight it could burst...don't know if that could actually happen or not.) The next morning, I noticed that my veins that run down each side of my fingers had turned black! At this point I called my Doc! When I had arrived at my doc 2 hours later the black lines in my finger had spread down my veins into my hand and had made it to my wrist. Doc gave me an antibiotic that killed the infection and made the black veins stop and totally recede. That was about 2 months ago. The scars are still there, but now just recently bumps have been popping up only on the 2 fingers with cuts.....kinda concerned again!!!!! It's like the poison is trying to get out through those bumps?!?!?! I'm really not sure....anyway that's how I ended up here looking for answers or people with experience. Hope this helps anyone reading it that has the same thing going on. Remember....WEAR GLOVES AROUND ZOOS!!!!!!! If you have any info on what these bumps are, PLEASE let me know.....it's freaking me out!!!!