the ultimate sturofoam question for my build.....to styrofoam or not to stryofoam??

dirk_brijs

Ok guys some of you who followed my build know then now my new 400+gallon cracked on the bottom
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/389589/the-upgrade-has-started/120#post_3483665
for those who didnt here a little insight

Now before I will start the repair or just build an entire new tank I want to have the following question out of the way.
My local tank builder here (good but not allot of experience with tanks this magnitude) claims that every tank needs a layer of styro foam under the tank. (by the way its not the guy who build the broken tank, I made the capital mistake to change what I know and went for the cheap..... ok ok shoot me)
Now I have done some research previous and it seems that most people now claim the opposite for large tanks??
Anyway attached to this thread a poll. Please reply to your best knowledge and please try to explain or defend your status on this question in a reply. Dont want another tank to go as having about 500 gallon of water in your house is no fun.
Here the dimensions of the expected tank

the bottom pane would be 15mm tempered glass due to the holes all side panes would be 12mm (1/2")

dirk_brijs

does anyone even know if their are any LINKS or pics online from tanks these dimensions (length especially) with styrofoam bottoms?

snakeblitz33

I use styofoam under every single tank i set up- from 10g on up. Every single tank, in my opinion, needs styrofoam underneath it.
No, i dont know of many/any tanks as long as yours to reference.

dirk_brijs

so what about the argument that due to the size (length of 120") it would be very possible to have more weight on one side then the other which would compress the styrofoam more thus resulting in your tank getting out of pass?
or is this impossible?

snakeblitz33

If your tank sinks down on the styrofoam more on one end, then it means your stand was unlevel. The styrofoam eliminates pressure points and completely levels a tank. Better than what a wood leveler can ever do.

snakeblitz33

In the same thought, if it does sink down more in one spot because it is leveling up your tank, thats a good thing because it is eliminating a pressure point and stress on the glass.

bubblegurl

I asked the same question when I was doing my 180 build, 6'x2'x2', I was told that if the tank has no trim, then yes for sure the styrofoam is needed, with the trim it is not as there is a gap between the trim and the tank and the tank will settle in. My 180 has been up since february with water and no issues. If using styrofoam, 3/4" to 1' is best. My sump has no trim and I have foam under it.

travelerjp98

I asked the same question when I was doing my 180 build, 6'x2'x2', I was told that if the tank has no trim, then yes for sure the styrofoam is needed, with the trim it is not as there is a gap between the trim and the tank and the tank will settle in. My 180 has been up since february with water and no issues. If using styrofoam, 3/4" to 1' is best. My sump has no trim and I have foam under it.huh, never knew about that. I don't reckon how my trim is placed under my tank... I will have to check in the morning.
There is a carpetlike material underneath my sump, and it acrylic, so that's that
Oh, BTW, I also have a 180. 180 buddies? Lol.

bubblegurl

Lol... 180 buddy! Seems to be the year of the 180 builds here there's 5-6 that were started this year.
I have a metal stand, with 3/4 inch plywood. When we put the tank on the stand, I could see a gap between the wood and trim. No gap now. I went back and read my build, plus there was another thread on using foam and the consensus was trim - no foam, no trim - use foam. I would assume if you have the trim on the top, it would be the same on the bottom. If I can find the thread, I'll pm you.