The War On Crabs!!!!!!

raymond2688

ok i found the home of the elusive giant crab in my tank. as i looked in i saw him making lunch out of my wiggling fire gobby. Enough is enough i said. I then went to the garage to build it!!!!!! a

[hr]
with a ver sharp point. after construction he was not at a killable range so i waited standing over the tank for over an hour....waiting and waiting....ok I gave up.
This morning he was in perfect range. i turned off the power heads so i could see him nice and clearly. I slowly lowered the

[hr]
within what apeared about 1 inch from dead center of his shell. The pot of coffee i drank this morning was kicking in
and i had a bit ofthe gitters. I took a deep breath aimed and thrusted my

[hr]
into his shell.............can you believe it bounced off his shell.
as he skurried away i saw a whole dead center, but his shell was to hard. I then went back to the garage sharpened the point and waited. to my amasement a smaller one came out. i lowered the

[hr]
and thrusted it into the center of the crab......heheheheh
i got it not the one i wanted but mission was a sucess. i posted a few pics of my adventuer. the pic of the tank is the corner he lives in....hope everyone enjoyed the story.
I do have to say killing was a last resort. I will add to this post as i hunt the big one.

btldreef

Originally Posted by bfeire922
http:///forum/post/3189386
cruelty to animals...
jk. losing a fish can make a man do crazy things.
LOL ... After what's he's been through with crabs in his tank lately, I think even PITA would give him a pass on this!
Good luck getting the big guy out and I really want to see pics of him! (If you don't smash him into a million pieces out of anger like my husband recently did to a reef lobster).

raymond2688

after the first post i decided to go in after him it was a major undertaking. i have very large rocks and ofcorse it is the bottom one. i slowly removed the rocks shifting them around and got to the bottom. I picked up the rock and he was gone. i fliped the rock and examined ever nook and cranny and nothing. i believe he burried himself in the sand as there were no holes big enough to house this beast. i then put the rocks back i did not want to stur the sand to much. as i replaced the rocks i placed them in such a way that i have a great shot at him and can actually get my net in there. after i hit submit i will take my post over the tank. i will sit there all day. i will post progress on my breaks.lol

btldreef

Originally Posted by raymond2688
http:///forum/post/3189392
after the first post i decided to go in after him it was a major undertaking. i have very large rocks and ofcorse it is the bottom one. i slowly removed the rocks shifting them around and got to the bottom. I picked up the rock and he was gone. i fliped the rock and examined ever nook and cranny and nothing. i believe he burried himself in the sand as there were no holes big enough to house this beast. i then put the rocks back i did not want to stur the sand to much. as i replaced the rocks i placed them in such a way that i have a great shot at him and can actually get my net in there. after i hit submit i will take my post over the tank. i will sit there all day. i will post progress on my breaks.lol
Good luck! I have an evil hitchhiker in my nano that I'll be hunting down on Friday, doing the same thing you are. I'll sit there all day if I need to, but a 14G is much easier to handle, lol.

browniebuck

funny you spelled PETA PITA instead...as a teacher in an inner city school, we used to come up with acronyms to use as code when talking about students...PITA was pain in the ...I think you can figure out what the A stood for...and, in my opinion, that is what PETA is.

raymond2688

he never came back out i have since removed the rock and set it in cold fresh water. i sifted all the sand....he has vanished
. i have removed 8 small crabs from the rock so far. count to date
jimmy crab......1 fire gobby
2 pep shrimp (killed by me on acident)
Raymond......... 8 small crabs and counting
a messed up tank so cloundy i cant see

btldreef

I
Originally Posted by browniebuck
http:///forum/post/3189395
funny you spelled PETA PITA instead...as a teacher in an inner city school, we used to come up with acronyms to use as code when talking about students...PITA was pain in the ...I think you can figure out what the A stood for...and, in my opinion, that is what PETA is.
lol I guess that was my subconscious!

raymond2688

i give up........
i soaked the rock in cold fresh water got 9 tinny crabs out.....i then soaked the rock in 120 degree water....11 more small crabs...my tank is all messed up. he had to have moved....but how....*&%$#@. i am going to work

btldreef

http:///forum/post/3189466
i give up........
i soaked the rock in cold fresh water got 9 tinny crabs out.....i then soaked the rock in 120 degree water....11 more small crabs...my tank is all messed up. he had to have moved....but how....*&%$#@. i am going to work
I have so much sympathy for you right now. You've been hunting this guy for weeks.

renogaw

NOT fresh water!!
use 1.031 water to get crabs out. 1) won't kill everything on the rock 2) wont kill your rock...

raymond2688

i did not know this about the 1.031. hmmm never thought of salt.
well i am sure my most beutful rock is dead. it was almost all purple now it is pink. i have messed up. note to self never act to hastfully me and jimmy are going to have to learn to coexist............

boohbahbah

I feel bad for you, I'd upset to experience a bad case like that. Good luck on getting that nasty crab out of there. Don't give up!

renogaw

http:///forum/post/3189551
i did not know this about the 1.031. hmmm never thought of salt.
well i am sure my most beutful rock is dead. it was almost all purple now it is pink. i have messed up. note to self never act to hastfully me and jimmy are going to have to learn to coexist............

well, the coraline will just grow back, that's not an issue. it's all the microbes you killed off by doing a FW dip :(.
but yea, they cannot stand the higher salt level so they jump ship, just like mantis shrimp do

tank a holic

see this is rediculous
it is beyond me why any person would "hunt" crabs in their tank

and not have a boiling pot of water ready!!!!

tank a holic

I may have missed it while reading but what kind of crabs are these.....
I seem to have trouble with supposed reef crabs too

fretfreak13

Tank, I think they're Xanthids from reading past posts.
Ray, you should find the meanest LFS around (we all have one lol) and trade in the rock for store credit. xDD