The water has slightly bad smell!

reborn258

I have a 45 gallon tank. It is only a week old. It has about 12 pounds of live rock and 3 inches of live sand. I have already done the shrimp method. Is that the cause of the smell? Should I worry?:confused:

I

ivanfj

The bad smell you are experiencing right now is perfectly normal during a tank's cycle. No worries.

A

andretti

The reason your tank smells is because of the live rock; it's normal. Use some carbon, it will absorb some of the foul smell and make your water crystal clear.

lion_crazz

Originally posted by Andretti
The reason your tank smells is because of the live rock; it's normal. Use some carbon, it will absorb some of the foul smell and make your water crystal clear.

No worries! :D
However, while you are still cycling and experiencing the bad odor, you might want to add a little more live rock to your tank. The more the better; 12 lbs. isn't going to cut it if you plan to have a decent bioload in that tank.

180dude

To get rid of the smell I would get a canister filter and put some Chemipure carbor in the canister. It will get rid of the smell and clean your water. If you get a canister filter go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy those round floor scrubbing pads. They are red and cost around $10. Cut several pieces to fit you canister (rinse them well first) and your worries should be over.

lion_crazz

The smell is normal and nothing to worry about. Don't go out and spend any extra money getting something to get rid of the smell. It will go away naturally once your tank cycles and the rock cures.