the wierdest problem ever

tboy

hi
i have a 55 gal. i have a wer & dry, a canister filter, 3 powerheads, and a seaclone skimmer. I got about close to 100 lbs. of live rocks. I have check my ph, no 2, no 3, ammonia, alk, everything is fine. The wierdest problem is the skimmer is not working right. No matter how i adjust the air, a lot of little bubbles come out to the tanks, and the cup get nothing but a lot of water. the skimmer seem to very powerful. I have bought a same skimmer and put it in there same thing happen. I just bought a big skimmer for tank up to 200 gl. same thing happen. I brought my seaclone my friend tank everything is fine. Some one have told there is something wrong with my water and tell me to do water change for it which i did about 3 weeks but nothing is better.
PLEASE HELP

darknes

What is your salinity at??? The higher the salinity, the more bubbles foam that will be produced.

J

jkat

I am haveing the same problem my skimmer produced alot of bubles when i first got it but every one said that was normal. Then they went away and came back after bout 5 months my tank is 7 months old. So i know what your going through but i dont know how to help you sorry i tried to clean the skimmer and every thing but nothing helps .And all those bubbles are very anoying . So if you do fig out how to stop it plez let me know lol

6stokes

After rereading your post you mentioned that the cup is filling with a lot of water. This would explain the bubbles. You have it turned up to high. Needs to be tuned down. Then it won't fill the cup with water or produce bubbles. It will however capture gunk over a period of time. Don't expect miracles though. It may take a couple days to a week before it fills with the nasty stuff.
The key is tuning. Just tinker until you feel it's doing its job. The stuff it pulls out will be thicker than sea water and smell real bad. Will also have a dark color to it. The lighter the color is a sign that it's over skimming and pulling in your regular sea water. You need to find a happy meduim.

J

jkat

I am really sorry to be jumping in here like this but my skimmer is a aqua remora with the mag 5 pump and i have no idea how to adjut it i lost my paper work to it . again sorry for juming into yuor thread

sweetreef

on the sea clone the air valve is a piece of junk throw it out and get a diffrent one it works better with a better air valve and it take time for it to break its self in as you might know when you are feeding the fish the skimmer shoots up fine little bubbles in your tank then after awhile it stops thats a sigh of its self breaking its self in then when you feed your fish again then you dont see them fine bubbles shooting out of your tank then you know your skimmer is broke in it took mine about three weeks to get it up and working right first thing is to chuck that air valve that comes with it and get a diffrent one but iam sorry to say after buying the sea clone i wasnt to happy with it but know iam stuck with it for the time being but the do work and pull out some stinky stuff!!!

tboy

my tank is been running without a skimmer for at least a month, therefore it sould have a lot of things for them to collect. When i try to adjust the air valve i either get a lot of water in the cup and little of little bubbles come into the tank or nothing in the cup with a lot of little bubbles in the tank. I just bought a Finnex Protien Skimmer for tank up to 200 gl. the code is FI-PS-1002 exactly same thing happen. The only thing I think i did different for the last month is drip kalk into my tank. but i check my ph and alk everything is normal

mobikobeyob

If you have any water conditioners in there or if your salt mix contains them that is where your bubbles are coming from.
Sweetreef is right about the air valve. go get an adjustable check valve it will work great. you may want to also cut an inch off the inlet tube attached to the venturi, in order to raise the pump height closer to the water surface.
both worked great for me.:D
Mobi:D