The wife saga continues ... I did this

tjkohler

For those following the saga, here are my last two posts:
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/38470/questions-on-my-wifes-concerns
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/38470/questions-on-my-wifes-concerns
She is leaving for the weekend starting tomorrow. I set up a ten gallon with 10 lbs LS tonight. She doesn't know anything about it and I should be able to keep it hidden in my office. This is to show her that 1) a tank doesn't smell and 2) it's fun to look at. My question on a tank this size. I can put LR (cured) in it right now I believe while it's cycling and it should help the cycle out. Can I add a couple clean up critters just to make sure there is no build up of any algae or something. The LR alone should be able to handle the spikes I thought. Patience is the key to this hobby, but I'm just wondering with such a small tank with cured LR if I should get a head start on the algae. Plus if she comes back this weekend and I can show her critters, maybe she'll start warming up to a bigger tank in the Living Room.

jester

My girl didn't care until I told her I wanted a 150 or bigger. Then she made me buy her a ring (yeah, the white sparkley kind) before I could spend my savings on pets you can't pet (her description). So now I have both. hehe

S

sinner's girl

it seems no one answered you..
imo no to adding creatures till it's cycled...if you get uncured lr this will cycle the tank...i'm not sure cured lr will do the job...you can add a piece of dead shrimp (from the store) to cycle if you're using cured lr (didn't read other post so you may already know that)
Jester...i'd love a 150 and my ring...unfortanly sinner got a car and new engine...and i still don't have my ring...seems i've been going about things the wrong way...i should have said "you get car, i get ring, you get engine, i get tank" (at least my ring was bought before he spent the money on the car)
ROFLMAO @ golfish!
edit, in response to smell... if sinner would ever do the dishes it would smell like a normal house...
the tank, on the other hand, does not smell...
one benifit to having it in the basement is once she never gets to see you she may give in and let you have it the living room
just to add yet anther happy fishohalic opinion

You need to just make the friggin thing. Im also married but my wife actually bought me the tank. She says she just pays for the fish, i have to take care of it lol. Really i think you should get your wife involved with the tank if you can, that way it makes it fun for the both of you. Take her to the LFS and let her pick out a fish, after you cycle of course :) But definately let her get involved, even if she is just buying the fish and you are taking care of the tank :)

ananda

LOL. I'm in the opposite situation: I take care of all the tanks, my husband pays for all the stuff, at least until I find a new job. (anybody need a tech writer anywhere?? :)

yammer

From experience, one pitfall of setting up your tank in another room (nano or otherwise) is that you are going to be spending a lot of time in that room away from your wife. Ours is in an abliet great place in the foyer/entryway of the house, but I fin myself camped out there studying the tank and often take these "extra long detours" when I leave the room to do something silly like putting the laundry away ;)
Just something to consider that you may find yourself winning the battle of - proving it doesn't smell and is great to look at, but loosing the war in that it becomes something that competes for her attentions.
Good luck!

sheni_angel

Take a stance, and that's coming from a woman!:) You're the man of the house and let her know that this is important to you and you want it where you can spend time with her, and sit and cuddle while you watch the tank........use some of those romantic words!:D
If she really loves you, and money is not an option than she shouldn't be so selfish! Shoot....I get my 125 gal in the living room, but for lack of room...my husband also has his weight set in here....best of both worlds for us.

yammer

From experience, one pitfall of setting up your tank in another room (nano or otherwise) is that you are going to be spending a lot of time in that room away from your wife. Ours is in an abliet great place in the foyer/entryway of the house, but I fin myself camped out there studying the tank and often take these "extra long detours" when I leave the room to do something silly like putting the laundry away ;)
Just something to consider that you may find yourself winning the battle of - proving it doesn't smell and is great to look at, but loosing the war in that it becomes something that competes for her attentions.
Good luck!

jumpfrog

To answer your original question if you're adding a piece of LR which your LFS has had for a while (mine won't sell anything he's had less than 6-8 weeks) then it should not add to your bioload and should be a big help in helping to cycle the tank quickly. If that's the case you can add a hardy damsel and maybe a hermit or two. Since your goal here is to convince your wife don't go too fast. If she's already unsure, early deaths in your tanks won't go very far in helping your case.
To jump on the wife's a great support bandwagon. She a hair stylist and does my LFS owner's hair. In stead of charging him, she get's store credit. Then the next one of us who goes in to the store get's something free/reduced.
What a woman;)

anthony812

HAHHAH GROW SOME BIO BALLS. LOLZ GOOD ONE HEY DUDE YOU SHOULD JSUT SIT DOWN AND HAVE A TALK WITH YOUR WIFE AND TELL HER YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS TYPE OF HOBBY AND IN NO WAY IT WILL INTERFERE WITH HER DAILY LIFE?