them darn corals

djpom1

I have been in the aquarium hobby for many many years, but I am very very new to reef tanks. I always had fresh water. My problem is, I just bought my first soft corals. One bonded itself to the rocks right away. It has been three days and the other won't bond to anything. I put him were ther is no current and he just sits there, I put him were ther is current and he flys around the tank. When he just sitd there he donsn't bond to anything. I heard I sould use superglue, but i do not want to put that in my tank. Any thoughts anybody?????????
Thanks in advance...

stacy

I have heard of others putting the corals in a jar with some LR and eventually they will bond to something. Also another freind this weekend fragged his colt, and he used fishing line to tie the fraggs to LR. He said in a couple of weeks to cut the line, and remove it by then the coral should have bonded. I'm still new to this so I'm sure there will be plenty of others with suggestions as well.

pb here

I have used a toothpick and stuck corals(softies) to rocks. Takes about a week and then pull the toothpick out.

dfimble

About 2 months ago I fragged my Colt... I used needle and thread. Poke a hole threw the coral and tie it onto the rock. I found that most coral grow better in a moderate current... but it all depends on the coral.

minkus

I like the nedle & thread thing. I've tried two differant colt frags. I used the toothpick method the first time and after 2 days the frag was missing. I tried this again and I saw that it was happing again, so I used superglue on him, but a day later the frags was lifting out of it. THen I tried some netting on it and it lasted 2 days and finally game up missing. I'm going to give the mother a little time to heal (it is healing up well) and I'll try it again. I've been able to frag my toadstole, mushrooms and green button polyps using netting, except for the button polyps I used putty. Anyway I use super glue for somethings and putty for other things. They all have their uses and I wouldn't be afraid to use it in your tank. I fact, I think it's harder on corals if they get knock over. The putty prys off pretty easy too, if you need/want to move it. :cool:

jonthefb

Minkus, this is off the topic, but whats your fave lfs in and around the denver area? I live up in greeley and we only have 2 up her eand they both are ridiculously expensive! I would be willing to drive to Den if there were some cool place. The only one I know of is Reef gallery on arapahoe! any suggestions?
jon

kris walker

Just to add, I find having a specimen container that hangs on the side of the tank, with holes in it for minor water circulation, works great for attaching troublesome corals to liverock rubble. I also use superglue at times, and it works great as well. The superglue can be tricky, and the "gel" stuff works so much better than the regular liquid stuff.
Good luck,
kris

fishfreek

What type of coral is it? I've used super glue, rubber bands and fishing line to fasten corals to a piece of LR. Witch LFS did you get it from , I live in Little Chute.

djpom1

Hey fishfreak, I got it at ultimate aquatics by St. E,s hospital. Drop me a line, DJPom@msn.com, I would like to talk to someone with a tank.
Dennis