There's something about magnets......

vito525

OK, I read a few posts yesterday regarding the Eco Aquilizer. Seems it boils down to magnets inside a tube. I went to Lowes yesterday to pick up some new return tube and I bought several packs of magnets. I also ordered some very strong ones to put on my powerheads (I got those yesterday also). The magnets on the powerhead experiment failed, and my new maxi-jet mod created a giant sand storm in my tank (BTW those mods for the MJ's really work, but the strong magnets interfered with the impeller magnet causing alot of noise, I am going to epoxy them instead of super glue next time to the suction cup holder and see if that solves the problem.). I went back to suction cups and decided what the heck. I took by electical tape and started taping the magnets to my new return tube, alternating sides and spacing about 2 inches apart. I put the strong ones (6 of them) near the top.
About half time of the dismal Jaguar game, I decided to go to bed. I woke up around 3 AM and went downstairs to check on the tank. And I'll be damned, it was crystal clear. No sand clouds, no little particles floating around. Just a clear tank. 5 hours after destroying my sand bed and creating a blizzard, my tank was as clear as it ever has been.
So, for those who are skeptical (As I was), for less than $10 you can try this. It worked for me. Why it worked I do not know, but it did. Will it work fo you? I don't know.
So your comments and questions please, or if you have an explaination.

emm0909

Those look alright. They really aren't a bad price if you're a little skeptical. It's just a tube with magnets in it though? What if you ran magnets up the side of your return line? Were you putting the magnets in the water or outside your plumbing?

vito525

I was taping to the outside of the return hose. The Lowe's magnets are not that strong, but the neosomething or other magnets I got from a website are very strong. It took me 15 minutes after 2 got snapped together to get them apart. Save your money (I think the Eco thing is like $40??) and get some stromg magnets and try it for yourself.

funkyman

Go to Kensfish dot com, and go to Cleaning Supplies. Once on the Cleaning Supplies page, go down to the Meg-a-clean glass cleaners.
Super Glue half the glass cleaner (preferably the side that will clean the glass), to your powerhead, and use the other half outside the tank. I used the large size.
For less than $6 each, you can equip all your Maxijets with magnet holders and say good bye to those stupid suction cups forever.

vito525

I'm not sure. But my water seems clearer. It could be the new Maxi-Jet Mod that blew all the crap off my rocks and now there's nothing to float around the tank. If my nitrates come down a notch or two, then I will be more convinced.