Thermometers

madness

Is there a difference with the thermometers for fish tanks or are they all the same. Is there a specific one that I should get or anyone would do as long as its for use in an aquarium? Would they all give accurate temperature? And what is the best temperature for a FOWLR tank?

tthemadd1

Buy something nice but not too expensive.....Get one that is submersable. A little more money but make the tank look better and i think they are more accurate. Also get one that has the temp scale around the dial. Takes the guess work out of the heaters. I have a cheapo one on my frag tank and I came home to upper 80's, killed all of my Kenya frags.
So dont skimp because of price. Good Luck
themaddhatter

madness

Are you talking about a termometer or a heater? I've never seen a thermometer with a temperature scale around the dial...matter of fact I've never seen a thermometer with a dial.

ophiura

Well, you kind of get what you pay for....much like hydrometers. Most of the hang on, floating or suction type thermometers are OK but I wouldn't bet the tank on them. There are some "pinpoint" digital thermometers that are not too expensive. Not a bad option if you can do it. Anyway, somewhere between 78 and 82 is probably pretty normal for FOWLR tanks.

madness

Thanks for the info, I didn't think thermometers would have had all those options, I guess I'll have to check out those digital ones.

T

tizzo

Those little cheapies at walmart almost gave me a heart attack when I first set up my tank!! It was 4 degrees off!! So now when I buy them (last time was for my water change jug and my qt tank) I hold all of them together and the majority will have the correct temp, the few that don't I know not to buy!! But as Ophiura said, it ain't worth putting one in your main display. The WON heater actually comes complete with a digital thermometer if you ever need to upgrade your heater also. :D