They Only Come Out At Night...

squidd

I have a couple pieces in my tank that "expand" at night.
A Sphaerella (Medusa/Sphincter) and My Tube Anenome (worm)...
When the lights go out and everybody else contracts, these guys expand and come out...and then contract when the lights come on and everybody else expands...
I was thinking that with proper placement of the two different types, one could get two different "looks" to there tank...a "Day time' look and a "Night time" look...
What other types of coral only "Bloom" at night...?

nm reef

I don't think its much of a change....not a "bloom" exactly...but at night my small lobo brain...my favite...my trumpets and candy canes all present a different appearence after lights out. I do agree that night time viewing can often be as interesting and diverse as viewing with the lighting source on.:yes:

birdy

Sun corals typically come out after lights out.
I love to watch my tank transform about an hour after the lights go out, all the feeding tenticles that come out and the worms and things, it is simply amazing.

squidd

Sun Coral is one I had heard of before, and was thinking of for this "project" :yes:
Are there any others...?

billy ocean

yellow and red gorgonians, also my corky finger gorgonian even though the polyps on that are usually out in the daytime as well

beachbumtx

Christmas tree corals prefer low light conditions. Often only comes out at night. However, I have placed mine inside a cave and it will come out during the day from time to time. Not colorful, but still cool to look at.

cincyreefer

Originally posted by BeachBumTX
Christmas tree corals prefer low light conditions. Often only comes out at night. However, I have placed mine inside a cave and it will come out during the day from time to time. Not colorful, but still cool to look at.

Really? Most christmas tree worms
reside in very light demanding corals, such as a porites. A low light coral i really like is the chili coral.

squidd

Is this the "Christmas tree"coral you ar refering to...
(Center of pic above orange/green brain...)
It's a Sphaerella sometimes called sphincter, medusa or christmas tree...