Things my local fish store told me...

texasfish

go to yahoo and search "compatibility_chart.cfm"
and you will find a good starting chart, usually lsted first.

anita

Thanks. I'm going to one more fish store today in Buena Park that alextrif suggested. So, I'll see what they say. Thanks to Jenn & other posters, I think I've come up with a good list of fish for my first tank; it's in my fish compatibility post. Still not sure about corals or anemones since I haven't recieved my books in the mail yet.
Anita

konrade

what do you mean by "not sure about corals or anemones?" Also get lr, about 1-2 pounds per gallon. Corals and anemones require special care and lighting, it took me a year to figure out some basic stuff about corals and such, and I still have plenty to learn. I really urge you to read robert fenner's book from front to cover so you have a better understanding of everything.

anita

No, I ordered the pockter book for marine fish & the fenner book, they haven't come in the mail yet. Since I don't have the book to know which corals/anemonoes I would need for a clownfish (even though clownfishes don't really require that), I suppose I could add it on later. It seems like ti a lot less money to buy everything online. That's probably what I'll do.
Anita

finchfishs

Hey Anitia...Some stuff on LFS...i live in Huntington Beach, and the LFS i go to is called Seaside Tropical Fish. Great store, i went in there and the guy has gotten me everything and will spend hours helping you. (hes a little hard to understand...but o well) The stores been open fore 40 years or something the guy said. I just started saltwater fish about 2 months ago, and its awsome and this store has done everything for me. Its probably 30min from Irvine, but if you head towards the beach check it out. Good luck with getting your aquarium set up