Things not to use in our seahorse tanks

teresaq

I am learning everyday. It has come to my attention that there are some products that should not be used. I want to start this thread so everyone can add what they have found.
1. Chemi-pure Elite. - can be irritating the horses - could cause excess mucous production. This could clog the gills and causes suffocation. horses have a sealed operculum and only two small exits to the gills.
This could or could not be true, but I don't want to take the chance.

novahobbies

wow. I have a bag of cp=e in my filter. I've not seen any detrimental effects, but I'm taking it out tonight. Better safe than sorry!

pezenfuego

By using it, nothing should leech into the tank, but it seems that a little always does.
I doubt it would cause harm, but I definitely wouldn't be willing to experiment and see.

teresaq

from what I understand, several seahorse keepers talked to the manufaturer and were told not to use with horses.
T

reefnutpa

The issue with the elite, as Teresa mentioned, is that it CAN cause gill irritation which would cause excess mucous production within the gill. Since seahorses have a sealed operculum, unlike other fish, this can create a severe problem as the mucous cannot be sufficiently erradicated.
Tom