Think I did well on new lighting fixture.

sagxman

I just got back from the LFS where I purchased my new lighting fixture. I had talked myself out of LEDs because of the price. But I was interested in the Marineland Reef Capable system. It has mixed reviews so I wasn't sure.
Well, the LFS had just been given 5 of the brand new units with timers that aren't out yet for his tradeshow booth. You can't order this thing anywhere. I couldn't pass it up at the price he gave me and now that it's home on my tank, it looks awesome.
This is plenty of light for the type of corals I like to keep and I love the low profile. AND IT HAS A BUILT IN TIMER AND ONE PLUG!!! Yay! It's the little things that make me happy.

sagxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/391040/think-i-did-well-on-new-lighting-fixture#post_3465973
What corals are you planning on keeping.....Give us some specs on the LED units.....
Mostly soft corals like shrooms, some zoas, zenia. I might test out some more light hungry items and see how they do. I've been told there's nothing I can't keep under these that I could keep under T5's. Time will tell.
From the research I've done, they're only 1W LED's, but they're pretty darn bright to me. They illuminate my tank as brightly as my old HQI unit did in my opinion.
The timer is easy to operate. You set the time of day and set the On and Off times for the whites and blues separately.
I love the slim profile. It just looks good on top of my tank.
When I get corals back in the tank, that will be the true test. Until then, I'm pretty impressed.