Thinkin about a 180 for a shark

temple2101

Hey guys, I currently have a 9mo. old 55gal reef tank that I am looking to sell because I want to do a 180 for a shark. First off, what kind of shark would you recommend for a first timer? Also what type of filtration would be needed? I really don't know what questions to ask, so ANY information would be great! Also, if anyone is looking to get rid of a 180 or around that size let me know! (i'm in indiana) Thanks in advance!

pufferman

IMO, coral catshark (Atelomycterus marmoratus) is most recommended because they are true tropical species and one of the smallest sharks available in the trade (mere 30" long). But, bamboo sharks are also good choices. Stay away from any other sharks. They simply get too big. Sharks need an excellent water quality....it is imperative to have well-functioning Wet/Dry system and a large protein skimmer. Also, you need to do regular water changes (more frequent, better..) no matter how efficient your filtration system is.

gasguzzler

In my 125, I have 2 in. live sand, 60 lbs. of live rock, RO/DI water, a wet/dry to handle a 250 gal with dual overflows, dual Mag 700's, a Magnum 350 canister, 25W UV sterilizer and an in-sump skimmer. The residents are two Bamboos, two Cali rays, a 28" Zebra moray and a 14" Volitains Lion. As far as maintainence goes, be prepared to spend a lot of time here. Water changes in this tank are usually 30-40 gakkons.

temple2101

Thanks for the replies guys! How often do you do water changes? You say that you do 30-40 gallons .... could you do smaller changes more frequently? Also, what size sump would be ideal for a 180? The more I think about it though I may opt to go for a smaller tank and just scrap the shark idea. I'm a college student and I'm afraid I would not be able to give it the attention it needs. I'm not giving up completely on the idea though, so more info would be great! Thanks again!

jim27

I'm afraid I would not be able to give it the attention it needs
In my experience shark tanks are the easiest things to take care of. The kinds of sharks you're considering keeping are very hardy and tolerant when it comes to water quality. People say sharks need perfect water and everything but IME they're A LOT more hardy than some people givethem credit for. I'd say they're like really big damsels. Also, I haven't done a water change on my 180 for almost a year.

sharkguy1

I agree sharks are very hardy. But an important thing to do once there in the aquarium is to feed them good foods with minerals and garlic. They can develop parasites easily at first. Garlic will prevent this.

gasguzzler

For the record, garlic is merely an attractant. The multi's are what ward off parasites and strentghens the immune system.

temple2101

Ok, so say I do decide to get the 180 ... what size sump should I use for a wet/dry? Any other type of filtration? (UV Sterilizer, skimmer, things like that). I have been doing a reef like I said for a while but am very new to the shark idea. Also, for sand what would be recommended? I really want a white sand look that is very fine, but I don't wanna spend too much money on that. Also, how much rock in a 180 for a shark? And, what other inhabitants would I be able to put in the tank? Thanks again for the information guys, I really wanna know as much as I can before I start this if I do.

gasguzzler

Buy all of the above equipment you mentioned. As mentioned before, go with a flow rate of at least 1000 gal/hr. You can use one pump or two, the choice is yours. There are ways around using live sand but I dont know what they are or strongly recommend them. For rock, you need enough to at least make a cave for the animal to completely hide in. I have 60 lbs. For other inhabitants, try eels, groupers or lions. I have had luck with all three. HTH,
'guzzler.
-By the way, DEFINATELY pick up Aquarium Sharks and Rays by Scott Michael before you do anything. There has been no greater resource of info for elasmobranchs anywhere.

temple2101

Thanks for the info again, do you know of anywhere online that sells sharks? My LFS does not, they only have eggs every once in a while. I don't trust my LFS anyway, they do not have healthy fish. Anyway, let me know ... email me at temple2101@yahoo.com if you have to ... thanks!

temple2101

Hey guys ... talked to a guy I know today about the shark idea and he seemed to be totally against it in a 180. I think he was thinking of a cat shark though. Is there a big difference between the cat shark and the bamboo? Anyway ... I have put my 55 up for sale so hopefully the 180 will come in to play very soon. Is there any sand you guys would recommend for sharks and rays? I cannot get southdown around here, but would love to find if possible, but are there any others? Also, if anyone has a bamboo they would like to get rid of in the next month or two let me know :) Thanks!

gasguzzler

I have the pair of Cali rays in my tank (urobatis halleri) and they rock. By far the most interesting creature I have owned. What a personality. Perhaps breeding is in thier future?

gasguzzler

This guy probably realizes how long they will get. Bamboos ARE cat sharks, but everyone seems to call them different things. Realize that they will get about 3'+, but they are generally very lazy and dont require that much room. If you ask me, a 180 is bare minimum. All of the months of research I did before I bought mine told me the same thing. Take this information at face value and make an informed decision. Again, pick up the sharks and rays book I told you about to be clear. It is pretty much "The Bible" of most of us on this forum.
BTW- Did that attatchment go through I sent?

jim27

Bamboos ARE cat sharks
Bamboos and epaulettes are in the family hemiscylliidae. True catsharks are in the family scyliorhinidae. Bamboos are not cat sharks.